Microsoft Security Advisory

Humpty

Today we are announcing the availability of an update that does not address a security vulnerability, but is a high priority for customers in keeping their systems updated. The update addresses the following issue:

Your system may appear to become unresponsive when Windows Update or Microsoft Update is scanning for updates that use Windows installer, and you may notice that the CPU usage for the svchost process is showing 100%.

When you try to install an update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update, you experience the following symptoms:

?

Your system may appear to become unresponsive when Windows Update or Microsoft Update is scanning for updates that use Windows Installer.

?

You receive an access violation error in svchost.exe. This access violation stops the Server service and the Workstation service.

?

A memory leak occurs when Windows Update or Microsoft Update is scanning for updates that use Windows Installer.

?

Windows Update or Microsoft Update scans take a very long time, sometimes hours, to complete.

Article

• Moderators

Don't have the problems mentioned here, so do I install this or not?

Microsoft reckon yes, but updating is becoming a "keep your fingers crossed nothing else is screwed up" sort of occassion. Or am I just being more paranoid than usual? :unsure:

Don't have the problems mentioned here, so do I install this or not?

Microsoft reckon yes, but updating is becoming a "keep your fingers crossed nothing else is screwed up" sort of occassion. Or am I just being more paranoid than usual? :unsure:

You probably should with it being a high priority update (even if you don't now it'll probably end up in one of them 'Cumulative updates' in a couple of months)

I installed it earlier in the week without a problem.

I looked..IDK..it might have already updated...

IDK who else has an ATI card...but do not download the hardware update from Microsoft...I did a few weeks ago...restarted my PC...and my drivers were f@$%ed...it was in like, 4 bit mode lol. I got online and re-downloaded them from ATI..and it was fine. So word to the wise...trust the real drivers...lol

AJ