Google beats Microsoft, Coke in brand stakes

Humpty

Google has knocked Microsoft off the top spot and been named the most powerful global brand of 2007 in a recently published ranking.

It's the second year in a row a tech brand has beaten household names such as Coca-Cola, Marlboro and Toyota.

Microsoft came in third this year with a brand value of $55 billion. Fellow tech companies in the top 10 are China Mobile, in fifth place, and IBM, in ninth.

According to Millward Brown Optimor, here are the 10 most powerful global brands of 2007, plus brand value:

1. Google--$66.4 billion

2. General Electric--$61.9 billion

3. Microsoft--$55 billion

4. Coca-Cola--$44.1 billion

5. China Mobile--$41.2 billion

6. Marlboro--$39.2 billion

7. Wal-Mart--$36.9 billion

8. Citigroup--$33.7 billion

9. IBM--$33.6 billion

10. Toyota Motor--$33.4 billion

Article

• Moderators

One of the most alarming things I've noticed is that once a company becomes rich that's when people start filing ridiculously large lawsuits against them claiming they did x amount of millions of dollars of damage, or x amount of billions of dollars of damage. :rolleyes:

• Moderators
With modern health awareness and the ever widening bans on smoking in public places, I'm surprised to see a cigarette manufacturer still up there.

I'm surprised to still see the Marlboro logo on the nose section of a Ferrari F1 car.