Windows 7 Search Service Corruption

Hello all,

After running CCleaner64 (v3.11.0.1550) 64-bit, I started getting event logs indicating that the Windows 7 Search Service could not start due to courruption. These logs did not go away upon reboot so I downloaded a Microsoft "Fix it" program to "Fix Windows Search When it Crashes or is Not Showing Results." So, I ran it and it reported that it fixed the corrupted Windows 7 Search Service. Thereafter, the logs stopped.

FYI

• Moderators

need more information, did you run the registry section? Or just the cleaning? Did you have any custom cleaning rules or includes? The latest version is 3.12 can you try it and see if the same thing occurs?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hello pagroundhog,

The problem is caused by a new setting in Ccleaner: "MS Search" (to be found under Applications, Windows).

This setting is turned ON by default, and it deletes vital files for the Windows Search indexing functionality to work properly. After using Ccleaner and rebooting your pc, the complete index needs to be rebuild by Windows. This slows down your pc significantly. Ccleaner developers should turn this option OFF by default!

See discussion on this forum about the topic here: http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=34030

In a discussion on Microsoft Technet the complete event log errors are posted:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/e286be80-ed7e-4026-b6b7-d512ff642db5?prof=required

The topic starter found the solution himself:

"Being a long-time user of Piriform CCleaner, it appears one of the recent updates changed or added an item labled "MS Search" under 'Applications' > 'Windows'. Upon unchecking this option in the settings of CCleaner, I am no longer experiencing the symptoms posted above."

need more information, did you run the registry section? Or just the cleaning? Did you have any custom cleaning rules or includes? The latest version is 3.12 can you try it and see if the same thing occurs?

I ran just the cleaning section with the default settings and; no, I do not want to retry a later version (but thank you anyway). You should be able to test this yourself and report the results accordingly.

Hello pagroundhog,

The problem is caused by a new setting in Ccleaner: "MS Search" (to be found under Applications, Windows).

This setting is turned ON by default, and it deletes vital files for the Windows Search indexing functionality to work properly. After using Ccleaner and rebooting your pc, the complete index needs to be rebuild by Windows. This slows down your pc significantly. Ccleaner developers should turn this option OFF by default!

See discussion on this forum about the topic here: http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=34030

In a discussion on Microsoft Technet the complete event log errors are posted:

http://social.techne...5?prof=required

The topic starter found the solution himself:

"Being a long-time user of Piriform CCleaner, it appears one of the recent updates changed or added an item labled "MS Search" under 'Applications' > 'Windows'. Upon unchecking this option in the settings of CCleaner, I am no longer experiencing the symptoms posted above."

Thank you Smartyx71,

I couldn't have said it any better myself!

Regards,

pagroundhog

• Moderators

I ran just the cleaning section with the default settings and; no, I do not want to retry a later version (but thank you anyway). You should be able to test this yourself and report the results accordingly.

honestly I really have no interest in helping you with that attitude. If you don't want to follow the the suggestions here all you're doing is complaining.

This is a community support forum, no one here works for piriform, and nobody is at your pc the only way to solve it is for those experiencing the issue to perform the minimum steps needed for the developers to work on it. Plus maybe just maybe it's been fixed in newer versions.

After all this doesn't makes sense, what you're saying. "This version doesn't work and I won't try a later one" then you are happy with it being broken

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Hello all,

After running CCleaner64 (v3.11.0.1550) 64-bit, I started getting event logs indicating that the Windows 7 Search Service could not start due to courruption. These logs did not go away upon reboot so I downloaded a Microsoft "Fix it" program to "Fix Windows Search When it Crashes or is Not Showing Results." So, I ran it and it reported that it fixed the corrupted Windows 7 Search Service. Thereafter, the logs stopped.

FYI

To clean/wipe that area computer needs to be re-started as these files are locked and unfortunately CCleaner has no option to do that. Most of the privacy cleaning softwares (e.g. R-Wipe&Clean, Ace Utilities and East-Tec Eraser) erase locked files after re-starting the computer. The current version of CCleaner has the same issue.

Navigate to the path listed here and you will find Search crash dump files.

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\CrashDumps

Hello Mr. Moderator,

Are you kidding me or what? I never asked for "your" help! I simply reported a bug under the "Report a Bug" category. My expectation is that someone (with authority would investigate, test, and fix the problem) after reading my bug report. So, what do I get? I get someone (without any authority) asking me to retest the next version to "see if it happens again." Now, if you would have told me that a fix had been applied, then I might have reacted differently and tried a retest.

You also confirmed that this is just a community forum, and if so, why have a specific bug reporting category if there is no one in authority who will read a bug report and take action. As far as CCleaner goes, I only tried it again (after several years of abandonment) because I thought things might have changed and it finally may have become a stable product; however, the old "lab rat" mentality is still there!

In fact, I never saw a product that breaks with such consistency (over the years) almost every time there is an update. I wonder if their pro version breaks as often. I'l bet it doesn't!

Have a wonderful day!

• Moderators

Free software is free.

The Developers read all threads, though rarely if ever comment. They need information from the affected machines, as I stated earlier.

Topic is closed as there is a civil conversation on a simular bug elsewhere.