Duplicate File Remover

Guitarrassdeamor

I'm looking for a good program that searches for duplicate files and will show you them so you can delete them. I have 1.5TB of space that would need to be checked over, which I know can take a while, but I'd like the process to be as speedy as possible. I can run it overnight or something, that's not a problem, but one program I did download estimated a few days. If you could sort it to check for only a certain size higher or something, that would be great as well. I'd hate for it to just display a bunch of the same RARs or Windows files.

On a side note..it'd be awesome for Piriform to make a program like this for their next project if there wasn't one already. ;)

Any dup finder that doesn't strictly use checksums like MD5, etc., are potentially risky, especially if they're only generically going by identical file names.

It depends what you're looking for ... sometimes name and size only is enough :)

But I think every program I've come across uses a binary comparison anyway, which is effectively the same as comparison via a checksum.

That said, it's always useful to have a checksum ... you might want to keep it for a future comparison for example. Unfortunately that's one thing the Auslogics tool doesn't give you.

That said, it's always useful to have a checksum ... you might want to keep it for a future comparison for example. Unfortunately that's one thing the Auslogics tool doesn't give you.

I'm not exactly sure how to interpret this, but I found the following statement on Auslogics site:

"Auslogics Duplicate File Finder has the MD5 search engine which allows you to find duplicate files by content, regardless of other match criteria. It would be helpful, for example, when two identical mp3 tracks or video files have different names. "

Ah; thanks Tom. What I meant in my comment was that it's useful to be able to get hold of the hash. Whilst it seems their tool uses MD5 (which I didn't realise because the application doesn't tell you that; it just says 'compare content') it doesn't show you the hash in the output so you can't actually capture or record it. I'm sure I've seen some dupe finders that do give you the hash.

But thinking further about how any dupe finder would have to be written to work efficiently, keeping a hash is by far the most efficient way of going about. I suspect that any program that does content comparison uses a hash under the hood anyway, whether or not it mentions it.

Unfortunately not all of them do.

Well, per the above you don't need a hash to compare content. As long you do a binary compare that will correctly give you a match. A hash is just a checksum based on that binary content. The point I'm making is that the easiest way to 'store' a processed file to compare against others (i.e. without having to read the whole file stream multiple times) is to take a hash of that content ... it's just more efficient.

When I say that I suspect most do use a hash, it's not because it's the only way that will work; it just seems a sensible design approach. If there are programs that don't match correctly their logic is just wrong ... hash or no hash :D

For images, I use ThumbsPlus. It also has the ability to do "similar", allowing you to determine similarity percentage. It will create a gallery of the images it determines as similar so you can manually choose to remove. It is a paid product, but worth the price if you are a web developer (as it has the JASC engine built in), or have huge libraries of images (like images on CDs for graphics/web developers)

• 2 weeks later...

I think what you are searching for is DoubleKiller. It's a great program, that runs directly from the executable, meaning to installation is necessary. It allows searching for identical DATES, SIZES, NAMES. It also allows for searching of specific file types, as well as specific attributes including (Read-Only, Hidden, Archive and System).

I will upload the .exe file for you in a .zip folder.

Hope this helps.

P.S.

The program includes a built in help tab.

DoubleKiller.zip

I will upload the .exe file for you in a .zip folder.

Hi Derik

If you're recommending freeware, there's no problem posting a link to the software here. I know you were being helpful but it's not a good idea to upload an 'unknown' exe file because 1) people cannot vouch for its provenance 2) there may be licensing issues for you or for Piriform :)

I see that your exe matches this one here: http://bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/ at version 1.6.2.82. Nice little application ... portable too :)