Spyware Doctor Starter Edition

rridgely

• Moderators

I was browsing google and then I found something interesting.

I had seen that software pack a while ago but since I saw it last they added a free version of spyware doctor!

http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_instal...hl=en&gl=us

The only bad thing about this is the installation method. First you need to click "add or remove software" under "download google pack". This is so you dont have to install all of the programs since a few of them are quite frankly junk. (although if you havent tried google earth, picasa, or firefox, you deffinitely should check them out too). Anyway once you choose to only get spyware doctor or whatever you want to install, then you have to install it through the google updater which quite honestly seems useless. The good news is you can get rid of this and still keep spyware doctor after its installed.

Once it has installed spyware doctor your good to go. Here are the differences from the free version and the regular version:

http://pack.google.com/intl/en/product_info.html?sd

It has some real time protection, auto updates, schedualed scanning, and immunization features. Pretty good if you ask me!

I've always liked spyware doctor and use to use it a lot a few years ago when they had the free version that would scan and remove stuff. Recently the free version would only scan and you had to pay for removals but it seems pctools is being nice again because they keep releasing first rate free products. :)

If your looking for a good free spyware program that you can auto update and auto scan with this is deffinitelly one to check out.

I have 0 complaints so far besides the stupid installation method. I just installed it and I'm giving it a good look through right now, if I see anything I don't like I'll let you know.

• Moderators

Oh wow.. I didn't check ram usage before I made that post.(usually one of the first things I check, but I was running a scan at the time)

This thing uses a ton of ram. The strange thing is is running it all out of virtual memory. It was using over 100mb.

So this may not be suited to be run all the time. I guess its good to have it as another on demand one though. :(

Also, if it is anything like V5 look out. For weeks now PC tools have been trying to rectify the worst launch by an established company in the history of the www. This thing locked pcs, killed browsers, etc. but the whole time they kept selling it. Browse back several pages at this link and you'll get the idea! I can't believe they weren't sued by some of these companies that had their whole network go down. I really feel sorry for individuals that didn't even know how to do a restore as I (and probably thousands of others) had to do. It has teetered on the criminal! I have a work license for it and would never give that company a penny of my own money.

http://www.pctools.com/forum/forumdisplay....une=-1&f=54