Unused File Extensions & Help Files

jester620

Hey guys,

I've been using CCleaner for about 5 months now with limited problems. I've noticed something recently that I was wondering if you guys could help me understand/fix.

When I do an "Issues" Scan, it cites multiple file extensions & help files for a very important program on my machine as being unused etc.

I made the mistake a month ago to just clean without take note of the "problems" it found which caused the specific program to crash.

Any ideas why CCleaner would do that?!

ccleanerix9.th.png

Hey guys,

I've been using CCleaner for about 5 months now with limited problems. I've noticed something recently that I was wondering if you guys could help me understand/fix.

When I do an "Issues" Scan, it cites multiple file extensions & help files for a very important program on my machine as being unused etc.

I made the mistake a month ago to just clean without take note of the "problems" it found which caused the specific program to crash.

Any ideas why CCleaner would do that?!

I have tried this, just for test

Make a new text file on desktop and give it a random extension (eg. sometext.x1x).

Open with... Choose Notepad. Close the file and run a new scan for Issues.

A new unused extension to be cleaned: .x1x

:)

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

Whiteshark,

Thanks for taking on this problem...

I re-created your test on my machine and CCleaner does identify .x1x as an unused extension.

It seems like Windows register everything has been

open, also the (so called) "unregistered" extensions.

I've never noticed this before, thanks to you :)

Thought you guys might like to know this. Have any of you seen this type of result?

I had two different PDF reader programs installed on an old PC, Foxit PDF Reader and Adobe Acrobat 8. I uninstalled Acrobat 8 (it ran too slow on old PC) and ran issues, like I do after every uninstall. It listed .pdf as an unused file exyension. I used the back up registry feature and ran fix issues. It appears that that registry entry was tied to Acrobat 8. Everything ran fine after that with Foxit Reader. I had the registry backup just in case. Sounds like the description of unused is too general and too vague, unused by a now non existing application. Foxit is FAST, by the way.

Thought you guys might like to know this. Have any of you seen this type of result?

I had two different PDF reader programs installed on an old PC, Foxit PDF Reader and Adobe Acrobat 8. I uninstalled Acrobat 8 (it ran too slow on old PC) and ran issues, like I do after every uninstall. It listed .pdf as an unused file exyension. I used the back up registry feature and ran fix issues. It appears that that registry entry was tied to Acrobat 8. Everything ran fine after that with Foxit Reader. I had the registry backup just in case. Sounds like the description of unused is too general and too vague, unused by a now non existing application. Foxit is FAST, by the way.

I use Foxit Reader too. :)

IMO the behaviour you have described is perfectly normal, since Foxit doesn't associate

automatically himself to .pdf files, unless the user choose to set it as default PDF reader.

Uninstalling Acrobat Reader the .pdf extension become "unused" for the system, and

CCleaner doesn't do nothing wrong deleting it.

Thanks for your replies, but this is not the issue that I am having.

The extensions are associated with only ArcGIS 9.2 only. I do not have another program on the computer that would have been uninstalled/installed that could associate itself to these extensions. Thus stealing the association from ArcGIS 9.2.

Please could someone help?