CCleaner and Thunderbird issues

mocca

I have been using CCleaner (I have the latest version 1.38.485) without problems for a couple of years. So much so that i do not even look at the 'analyse' details any more... I just 'run Cleaner'

However, as of yesterday evening, i've had a crisis of confidence...

All my mail folders in Thunderbird (TB 1.5.0.10) disappeared after a 'Issues' scan and clean. Fortunatelly, this morning, after a 'restore', my Mail Folders are all back. However, I dare not use CCleaner again.

All 19 'issues' are of the sort

'Uninstaller Reference Issue' {random-string-of-alphanumerics} HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\{random-looking-alphanumeric-string}

The problem is - I did *not* install (or uninstall) Thunderbird. These issues are 'phantom' issues.

Anyone know how this comes about.? More importantly, how do I proceed - without having to dump CCleaner altogether. I like CCleaner, i'd rather keep using it.

• Moderators

Can you back up your emails and then run CCleaner again and see if it does it again? I use both CCleaner and thunderbird all the time and I've never run into this before, of course stranger things have happened. :) If it does it again let us know and if you can take screenshots of the "run cleaner" screen and the Issues scanner screen of the things found that would be very helpful in solving the problem.

Can you back up your emails and then run CCleaner again and see if it does it again? I use both CCleaner and thunderbird all the time and I've never run into this before, of course stranger things have happened. :) If it does it again let us know and if you can take screenshots of the "run cleaner" screen and the Issues scanner screen of the things found that would be very helpful in solving the problem.

As I explained, I have been running my setup for about 2 years with no problems. I also think that it has nothing to do with the 'run cleaner', as I can see (and understand) the files that are being cleared.

I am a little reluctant to try this - as we are talking about my main work machine. However, as soon as I pick up enough courage, I'll do it and report here. Watch this space.