Microsoft's search excels in spreading malware

Humpty

Hmmnn, maybe I have found a somewhere to get my hands on some more malware for testing purposes. ;)

Everybody knows that Windows Live Search, Microsoft's little search engine that could, lags far behind Google and Yahoo! in the race to capture eyeballs. Here's one place where the software juggernaut's offering leads the pack: referrals for sites that actively try to infect end users' machines with some of the vilest malware known to man.

According to researchers at Sunbelt-Software, Live.com's affair with malicious sites runs so torrid that malware-related returns on the search engine number in the thousands. Terms that trigger similar results tend to be Italian phrases, including, to name a few, "adsl offerta toscana," "istituto geografico italiano," "dvd da scaricare" and "testi reggae." Sunbelt blogged here about the sludge fest two weeks ago, but Live.com has continued to spew the noxious results unabated. Google and Yahoo long ago managed to filter most of the same sites from their returns.

"I don't think it was very responsible to keep these malware sites up for so long," says Francesco Benedini, a spyware researcher at Sunbelt. "I'm not saying Google and Yahoo! don't have a problem, but it's much more invasive on Live.com."

Article