Ubuntu

Daan

• Moderators

I've spent a good deal of time with ubuntu. Software wise I didn't have a problem finding what I want.

The only issue I had was hardware support(didn't support my laptops graphics card or audio jacks).

You have used automatix right? It adds tons of codecs and stuff that are pretty much essential.

I've spent a good deal of time with ubuntu. Software wise I didn't have a problem finding what I want.

The only issue I had was hardware support(didn't support my laptops graphics card or audio jacks).

You have used automatix right? It adds tons of codecs and stuff that are pretty much essential.

Fine :rolleyes: And were can I download it?

I tried it, I thought it was slow and too confusing.

Too complicated for the average user to install and use.

Has problems with ATI cards, I didn't figure out how install the ATI driver, having to go into that command line thing, xserver.

What the heck is a "terminal?"

We shouldn't have to learn command-line terminal things.

I think Linux is 10 years behind in terms of desktop use.

What is their target audience? If they want Ubuntu to be a Windows alternative, they're far off.

• Moderators

I managed to get my ATI card working with ubuntu. Here are pretty simple instructions:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Da...tallation_Guide

Speed wise its pretty fast. Its got a nice interface with gnome but playing with other distros I like KDE better.

I agree with you shouldn't need to run the command line, but linux isn't yet to that state where its not needed anymore. Give it 2-3 more years and it should be caught up.

I think right now ubuntu appeals to the moderatly knowledgable computer user. One who doesn't mind learning to use it(it really isn't that complicated) and one who is fed up with windows(spyware, licenses, ect). I've put a few hours in linux lately and honestly I like it, but I just haven't found the right distro(and I've tried most of the major ones). It something I'll continue to look into when I have time but its not my main concern right now.

I have a voucher to get a free copy of vista.(apparently when I bought my laptop a few months ago it qualified for it.)

I'm on the fence about it though. I've read that installing it would invalidate my xp license.(so If I hated it no going back.) With all of the crap I've read about it I'm probably just going to either wait and see how it really is by some reviews or just give it away.

Where ubuntu comes in is that once XP support is dropped I have to decide, Linux, Mac, or Vista.(and vista isn't looking to good in my eyes.)

• Moderators

Oh and daan here is automatix:

http://www.getautomatix.com/

Not to be rude or anything like that, but you do know about the repositories in ubuntu right? You just go to system add/remove program and you will find all sorts of programs. (Also don't forget to unlock all of the other repositories to find even more "non-free" software.) (Its free just not opensource)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

• Moderators

I read somewhere recently that XP is gonna be supported until 2014.

Although I haven`t had this pc for too long, I find myself looking around the shops at Mac stuff. A lot of the guys in these shops (and that includes PCWorld) lean more toward Mac than Microsoft.

Not at all knowledgeable about Mac, but I`ve got plenty of time to find out.

Then again, with the explosion of technology showing no signs of slowing down, no one knows what could be available over the next half dozen years.

We could probably "beam" down to Humpty`s and help him empty his beer fridge. :)

Regards

Edit: Still not got my Ubuntu working with USB modem.

• Moderators

Yeah, I posted an article about that on the forum a week ago.(not saying you saw it there but to anyone else if you want to read about it. :P)

Still though, just because MS is going to support it doesn't mean other developers will too. If the life cycle holds up from the end of windows 98/2000 then most people will continue to make xp software for a few years but not untill 2014. Who knows though Vista could tank and MS could bring out XP2. :P

Besides hardware support, networking was the other thing I hated about linux.

I can set up a small home network on windows in under 2 mintues. I played with linux for 30 minutes trying to share a printer and it just wasn't happening.(maybe I just need to learn more about linux, who knows)

• Moderators

I think for me, Linux is something different. I have the feeling that it`s more a case of wanting to beat something that`s beating me at the moment.

If I got it going with my USB modem, I`d probably feel quite chuffed, then put it back in the box.

Regards

Edit: Probably was your post squire.

Unfortunately, Advanced Member means I`m getting old and memory cells are jumping ship.

• Moderators

It`s funny you should ask that as I`ve been under the probably false assumption that because the modem came free with the broadband software and modem drivers, that I was stuck with it.

I was wondering if I could simply bin the USB modem for something ethernet.

Am I tied to this UnSuitable for Broadband modem because they came as a package?

As a matter of interest I have the following installed in my pc, but must confess I have no real idea as to what they are or do.

1394 Net Adapter.

Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC.

Tell me what I can do with these, and you are on my Christmas List. :)

Regards

Edit: Yep, got instructions how to set up USB. Seems like a right pain.

Edit 2: Did a post on this : http://forum.CCleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=8694

• Moderators

Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC.

Thats your ethernet port.

If your modem has an RJ45 port on the back all you would need is an ethernet cord.(most modems I've seen have both ethernet and USB)

Ethernet doesn't require any drivers and the speed is supposed to be much better.

What kind of internet do you have?

• Moderators

Talktalk Broadband from the CarPhone Warehouse. Supposed to range between 2.2mbs and 8mbs, but never goes above or below 2.2.

Is that what you meant ?

The modem is a Thomson 330 speedtouch type, and speed seems pretty good, but I`ve a fairly fast pc, 3.06Ghz.

The only connection on the back of the modem is the phone/modem cable socket.

Oh and daan here is automatix:

http://www.getautomatix.com/

Not to be rude or anything like that, but you do know about the repositories in ubuntu right? You just go to system add/remove program and you will find all sorts of programs. (Also don't forget to unlock all of the other repositories to find even more "non-free" software.) (Its free just not opensource)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Thanks, I'll try it :rolleyes: