Oulook File Recovery

Philip

In Windows XP Professional -- after running CCleaner v1.34.407, Outlook 2003 would not open. I was prompted to reinstall/repair the application -- which I did, but all of the data for emails, contacts, calender was lost. I'm pretty sure the data files still exist , but I don't know how to import them into the reinstalled/repaired state of Outlook. I ran the backups created by CCleaner to no avail. How do I recover my (pre-CCleaner) Outlook data files? Also, now everytime I open Outlook, an installer tries to install Word 2003 "redaction add-in", but cannot find the file. For now, I just cancel the installer to access Outlook, but it runs every time I open the program. I think the redaction add-in issue can be fixed by reinstalling Office XP Professional from the CD, but I still need to know how to recover the Outlook files. Can you help?

If you mean local data files, in Outlook use File > Data File Management and map the path (usually C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst).

If it's not there, use Windows Explorer to search for *.pst .

Hello, and welcome to the CCleaner Forum!

You mention 'import' in your post - do not use the Outlook 'Import' function to re-acquire your Personal Folders File. Once you have located your PST file, just open it with Outlook (File -> Open).

• 1 year later...
Hello, and welcome to the CCleaner Forum!

You mention 'import' in your post - do not use the Outlook 'Import' function to re-acquire your Personal Folders File. Once you have located your PST file, just open it with Outlook (File -> Open).

This seems like a very old thread to respond to, but I'll try anyway. I had the same problem asked about here, i.e., my Outlook files all seemed to disappear after running CCleaner the first time. I opened an Outlook.pst file from within Outlook and brought back all my inbox, deleted and sent messages. After much effort, I also figured out how to access my contact address book.

Now, I have two sets of "personal folders" - a new set that contains only messages received today and the old set that has all my messages from the last couple of years. Is there any easy way to combine them or force Outlook to use only the old folders?

Note that I also am getting a message when opening Outlook that says, "An error occured in the folder shortcuts file .FAV. Outlook will recreate the default folder shortcuts. Any ideas?

Now, I have two sets of "personal folders" - a new set that contains only messages received today and the old set that has all my messages from the last couple of years. Is there any easy way to combine them or force Outlook to use only the old folders?

Just move the the new e-mail from the new set of Personal Folders to the other.

Then go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files

You should find that you have two .pst files listed. Remove the unused one. The file is just deselected (not deleted) so if you pick the wrong one, just add it back and remove the other.

You can then delete the unused .pst file.