CCleaner cleans slowly

nv3s

Hello. In the past, cleaning time was at most 10 seconds, but in the last few months this has turned into at least 35 seconds. I've even seen it reach 50 seconds a few times. The interesting thing is that when I formatted my PC, it cleaned quickly for the first week, but then it started to clean slowly again. I have been using this software regularly for 12 years, but I don't remember ever having such a problem. It's really boring and tiring. How can I solve this?

Edited by nv3s

• nv3s changed the title to CCleaner cleans slowly
  • Moderators

If you're not using the community winapp2.ini file, or another third party winapp2.ini cleaner installed by some other software then it could be something else with the OS disk.

You could for example run ChkDsk /F on the OS disk via the Command Prompt, and reboot to let it attempt to fix for example file system errors which may cause issues like slow downs, etc., see:
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000148643/using-the-chkdsk-utility

Thanks for your help. Actually, I just focused on the problem a little more and saw that it was caused by Chrome. The problem is clearing Chrome's ''Internet History''. There is the same slowness when cleaning manually in Chrome.

So I completely removed Chrome with Revo Uninstaller and reinstalled it. Cleaning works fast again, but the problem will probably reoccur for some reason. What I mean is, your software is fine. There is something in that browser.

• Moderators

Ah yes, it's a web browser causing it. I didn't even think about that.

Some browsers will sometimes cause the very slow cleaning for whatever reason, it's been that way for a few years. Used to happen with the original Microsoft Edge (not the current Edge Chromium), and it can still happen with Internet Explorer even though it has been officially disabled by Microsoft it is still partially cleaned.