need advice please

sosolo

Hello, I'm running Windows XP sp2 and IE6

-1-

Have just done my first "clean" and then switched to "issues"

Have removed/deleted all of many items where it was shown that the "usual fix = delete"

I'm left - no, stuck - with 2 unused file extension problems and 19 ActiveX/COM Issues. :(

If I try to fix, I'm asked if I want to back up first. If it needs to be backed up first, I find that worrisome...

How safe is it, even with backup, to go ahead with this kind of action? Is it possible to make a drastic mistake in this area, or will CCleaner NOT present me with such dangerous fixes? I have little confidence in doing all this, and would really appreciate some guidance and honest encouragement or otherwise as to what to do. (heck, I don't even know if I'm making sense to anyone with my attempt to explain here)

-2-

My browser question is that after I used the Cleaner section, when I went to my Gmail account, I got the message

<quote> "you are currently viewing Gmail in basic HTML. [switch to standard view]"</quote>

(the [last] being a link).

Why would it have been altered? And is it ok to change to standard?

This is all so confusing. I thought all the browser pages were always html. What is standard then?

Well, that's two questions on the browser. :o Hope that's ok

(help!)

:) solo

Hi solo and welcome! :)

I understand your concerns.

1. First of all, always make a back-up when fixing issues. After a few days, if you aren't experiencing any problems then delete your backup. It is rare that a backup needs to be restored, but it is possible so it's best to make a backup. Fixing Issues is cleaning your registry, which should never be taken lightly which is why there is a prompt to backup any changes. CCleaner is about the safest reg cleaner out there, but it's ALWAYS best to be safe. ;)

2. Gmail can be changed to standard if that's what you would like, personally that is what I use.

3. I am not quite sure why any Gmail settings were altered, but my hunch is that the settings were altered by an update, and not by CCleaner. I use CCleaner multiple times a day, and my settings in Gmail are fine. But!! In the recent past, I have had updates mess up my Gmail account. :P Remember that Gmail is still Beta so some of the glitches are still being worked out on Google's end.

Hope I answered your questions. Feel free to ask for more clarification if I missed something.

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi solo and welcome! :)

I understand your concerns.

Hope I answered your questions. Feel free to ask for more clarification if I missed something.

K

Thank you so much -- for the welcome, and for answering all my concerns so promptly! I really appreciate it. I will steel myself to backup and clean up the registry issues (keeping everything crossed while I do it :blink: ) and HOPE hard.

As to gmail - I went to the help board there, and I see quite a few people having problems with the changing from html to standard format. I'm sure they didn't all just get CCleaner too :lol:

Kudos to you for your cheerful and ready help.

:D solo