Browser is closed, Ccleaner reports it was cleaned

jjroper

Without opening ccleaner browser, I began receiving the notification that it was cleaned. Then, an hour or so later, another notification, repeat ad nauseum. So, I looked in the tasks and it showed ccleaner browser as if it were open, along with the crash handler. So, I shut down those processes. Of course, it happened again after the next reboot. So, using ccleaner and the startup options, I found that in Windows Services, ccleaner browser was listed, as elevation_service.exe, update.exe /svc and /medsvc. So, I disabled those three things, along with the update.exe /c and installresource scheduler in Scheduled tasks, and that took care of the issue.

The reason I am writing is that it seems crazy that ccleaner itself causes problems with its own browser and has no place to fix it. It's annoying to be reminded hundreds of times a day that a browser that isn't open has been cleaned. Of course, I did see that if I do open it and leave it open, I did NOT get that message, but hey, that's just using computer resources unnecessarily.

I was really considering purchasing the pro version, but it seems that between the update tool issues, and this, it's not really worth it.

Guest johnccleaner

This is actually working as expected - when CCleaner Browser isn't 'open' (in the sense of having a browser window open), it still leaves a very small portion - this then runs a task to check for updates periodically (I believe this is indeed intended to run once and hour).

When that task completes, CCleaner 'sees' the system event that a CCleaner Browser process has closed, which then prompts a cleaning event, as that's the trigger for these cleaning events.

As such, both programs are doing exactly what they're supposed to. 

You can control this behavior in CCleaner's Options > Smart Cleaning; you could set it to clean this browser without notifications, or even to not monitor this browser at all (if you want to rely on manual cleaning and/or CCleaner Browser's own tools).

More information on the Smart Cleaning function here: https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015058012 and information on cleaning CCleaner Browser within the software here: https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028862611