MRU Deletion in Windows-Registry

Oliver

Hello Together,

maybe some expert can help out here. :)

I am actually using the latest version of CCleaner (6th of July Release) and ticked all the boxes for a complete and sober deletion of System- and all those Application-traces wihin the Windows-Registry. (Win XP).

Unfortunately some MRU?s (especially Open/With and Open/SaveMRU?s) aswell as the UserAssist-History do remain in the Registry just after taking advantage off CCleaner. I can see that while double-checking with the Freeware-Programm "MRU-Blaster" or even using a Reg-Search-Editor directly afterwards.

To be very honest, CCleaner approximately only deletes the first 75% of User-Traces in the Registry while "MRU-Blaster" is taking care of the final remaining 25%, concerning my experience yet, without wanting to denunciate CCleaner. Am I the only one who noticed this?

Does CCleaner maybe still needs some more definitions in "WinSys.ini" concerning those MRU?s?

Thanks in advance for any answer here,

Please no comments of being paranoid,

Oliver

But maybe CCleaner takes care some other stuff that "MRU-Blaster" don't?

No tool catches everything, there is always a tool that does something that another tool don't.

Maybe you could put those remaining registry keys in this thread?

Would be great if CCleaner was improved to catch more...

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everybody,

this is just to mention, that the User-Trace-Deletion-Procedure within the Windows-Registry

under "CCleaner" could be more simplified in a more effective way, as I do believe.

as there is to delete (User-Traces within the Windows-Registry):

MRU

UserAssist

Recent

wouldn?t it be much more easier to take advantage of a general meta string search like *MRU or simple MRU

and let the program ("CCleaner") search throughout the Registry for those entries wherever they are?

Up to now, "CCleaner" needs "dedicated" search entries (definitions) to look for in Winsys.ini and how many MRU`s

are out there? "CCleaner" can?t catch them all up to now as far as I know.

But the advantage of a general string search would be: The Winsys.ini will stay small and concerning those User-Traces,

a string search "grabs" much more of those User-Traces (MRU / UserAssist / Recent) within the Registry.

I know that would change the natural way "CCleaner" works (and searches) up to now, but I know aswell

that it will be much more effective and that is exactly what counts after all.

I?d love to hear other oppinions,

Oliver