Cannot clean off file !

BeeJay

Each time I run CC Cleaner I keep getting the following message and don't know how to stop this happening. When I shell out to DOS (using command) and do a search (including subdirectory search) I cannot find ANY file that starts with the name President* so two questions, why does CCC think this is something that needs to be deleted and WHERE/HOW does it store the names of the files it wants to delete so that I can remove this reference and thereby hopefully solve the problem ?

"Cannot delete President's Choice Financial home____: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

Any help/guidance would be appreciated....

Thanks,

BeeJay

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot find ANY file that starts with the name President*

Well, neither can CCleaner, which is the precise reason why it comes up with:

Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

This doesn't appear to be a message originating from CCLeaner, but from Windows itself.

Have a look here:

Cannot Delete Files or Folders with Extended Characters

Only guessing, but could it be that you set CCleaner to delete certain Custom Files and Folders, and that there's a problem with some of the items it is trying to remove??

I also found this BLOG entry

Deleting Files on Windows

Over the past few days I?ve been writing a program to create static HTML pages from Wikipedia XML dumps (long story - actual program and more info to come in a few more days?)

The program creates a lot of subdirectories in the process, and a lot of these happen to be in Unicode.

99.9% of the time this is fine. Windows is happy. I?m happy. Everybody?s happy. The 0.1% has been a particular folder ?Cuisine of Israel? which, for the past day, I?ve been unable to delete. I get the following message:

Cannot delete Cuisine of Israel : Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

It took some searching on Google, and it took this Google Groups page for me to find the answer:

1. Open a command line (Start > Run > Type cmd and press Enter)

2. Navigate to the folder above the one you want to delete

3. Type dir /x to see the MS-DOS 8.3 filenames. In my case it was CUISIN~1

4. Type (eg. for me:) rmdir /s CUISIN~1 and confirm the delete.

5. The folder should now be removed.

It should be a similar process for files (except, using del instead of rmdir).

Apparently Windows has a problem with certain characters. In this case I think there was a Unicode space character of some kind in the file. Windows wasn?t capable of dealing with it, and gave the error message.

Hopefully that should provide you with a few pointers

Well, neither can CCleaner, which is the precise reason why it comes up with:

This doesn't appear to be a message originating from CCLeaner, but from Windows itself.

Have a look here:

Cannot Delete Files or Folders with Extended Characters

Only guessing, but could it be that you set CCleaner to delete certain Custom Files and Folders, and that there's a problem with some of the items it is trying to remove??

I also found this BLOG entry

Hopefully that should provide you with a few pointers

Thanks Tony, the info you pass along makes a lot of sense and certainly seems to address the problem. I'll work my way through the suggested solution and post result. Again many thanks.

You're very welcome. Do keep us posted! :)

Hi again Tony...not good news ! Just spent a few hours trying everything suggested but still the problerm exists. Either CCC or Windows (or something else) seems to think that "President's choice etc. etc" exists yet no matter what, I cannot locate evidence of it anywhere or anything even close to that name. The system is Windows 98 SE. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. The existence of this file or folder doesn't seem to be causing any other problems but it sure drives you nuts, when EVERY time you run CCleaner if gives you the message (and requires acceptance of the message) that the file cannot be deleted !

BeeJay

• Moderators

Have you had any dealing with the bank of that name beejay?

On their site it gives out info on how to disable persistant cookies although I have absolutely no idea if this is of any help !

Internet Explorer 6.0 or later

Select "Tools" from the browser menu bar.

Select "Internet Options".

Select the "Privacy" tab, then the "Advanced" button.

Select "Override automatic cookie handling" in the Cookies box.

. To disable persistent cookies, select the "Block" option for "first-party cookies", then select the checkbox for "Always allow session cookies".

Note: Session cookies must be enabled for President's Choice Financial services online banking to function. To enable session cookies, select the checkbox for "Always allow session cookies."

Select "OK" in Advanced Privacy Settings.

Select "OK" in Internet Options.

As an alternative to completely disabling persistent cookies, you can select the "Prompt" option for "first-party cookies", then the checkbox for "Always allow session cookies". In this case, your browser will ask you whether you want to accept each persistent cookie.

EDIT Lablaw is the name of a company under which Presidents Choice sometimes trades as.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Have you had any dealing with the bank of that name beejay?

On their site it gives out info on how to disable persistant cookies although I have absolutely no idea if this is of any help !

Internet Explorer 6.0 or later

Select "Tools" from the browser menu bar.

Select "Internet Options".

Select the "Privacy" tab, then the "Advanced" button.

Select "Override automatic cookie handling" in the Cookies box.

. To disable persistent cookies, select the "Block" option for "first-party cookies", then select the checkbox for "Always allow session cookies".

Note: Session cookies must be enabled for President's Choice Financial services online banking to function. To enable session cookies, select the checkbox for "Always allow session cookies."

Select "OK" in Advanced Privacy Settings.

Select "OK" in Internet Options.

As an alternative to completely disabling persistent cookies, you can select the "Prompt" option for "first-party cookies", then the checkbox for "Always allow session cookies". In this case, your browser will ask you whether you want to accept each persistent cookie.

EDIT Lablaw is the name of a company under which Presidents Choice sometimes trades as.

Thanks hazlenut. Yes, was aware of Loblaws...and yes, we do use President's Choice. I tried things you suggested but unfortunately the "cannot delete" problem still happens when running CCleaner.

BeeJay

Is CC configured to delete (the contents of) a folder by that name at all??

(Options > Custom)

No Tony. options/custom area is empty. Sure is a mystery as to where CC is getting this file name from and it is ONLY when running the CC clean function following the analysis that this message shows up.

That's very strange. Any custom winapp2.ini entries referencing such a folder?

That would be another possibility

Thanks for all your effort/suggestions Tony. In the CCleaner folder I only have winapp.ini (not winapp2.ini) and no reference whatsoever to President's Choice or anything even vaguely close.

Expanding on Hazelnut's theory, after running CC (and getting that error message) do any non protected cookies remain?

Especially any from Loblaws/President's Choice of course...

No everything seems to get deleted thats supposed to be deleted

I can't help thinking we must be overlooking the blatantly obvious...

Now if only we knew what it was... LOL!

Some fresh input from others would be appreciated!

I know what you mean. I guess sometimes the "easiest" are the hardest to solve. I think my next step is back to good old DOS to poke around with a disk editor...those darn words (from the error message) have to be buried somewhere ob the HD !

Another approach might be using RegMon and FileMon to track ccleaner.exe as it runs.

It may provide you with a LOT of data to rummage through though:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Regmon.html

Make sure you configure the filter to include ccleaner.exe only, and maybe look for 'FAILURE' results. You can also copy the contents of the log and search for keywords...

Maybe worth a try...

Also, anything left in your Local Settings\Temp folder after running CC?

After running CC, go To Start > Run > type %temp% then press 'Enter'

Note, normally you shouldn't GET such a prompt, even if certain files cannot be deleted by CC on account of them being locked by another process, but hey, what's normal? ;)

Also, anything left in your Local Settings\Temp folder after running CC?

After running CC, go To Start > Run > type %temp% then press 'Enter'

Note, normally you shouldn't GET such a prompt, even if certain files cannot be deleted by CC on account of them being locked by another process, but hey, what's normal? ;)

First time I tried this (%temp%) there was a ton of files so I deleted all of them. However, both before and after doing that I'm still getting the error message. Also, I'll try and attach a file cclog that shows what is listed on the screen after EVERY cleaning.

First time I tried this (%temp%) there was a ton of files so I deleted all of them. However, both before and after doing that I'm still getting the error message. Also, I'll try and attach a file cclog that shows what is listed on the screen after EVERY cleaning.

cclog.txt

cclog.txt

• 2 weeks later...