Is there a way to recover a folder containing 11 GB worth of data

AjaxArag

I accidentally deleted a folder that contains 11 GB worth of data. All kinds of files. 1 singular file being 6+ GB. It was there on easeus recovery, but I don't have the money. I have tried all kinds of searches with recuva but the file is not showing. Did easeus overwrote something ?

I installed Dropbox to pc, Stupidly enabled sync to folders containing huge amounts of data without paying attention and accidentally deleted the Dropbox linking folder in an effort to reverse it - which resulted in the files getting deleted from everywhere. Does that makes sense ?

Is there any way to recover it ? I have done several deep scan searches in several ways but the file is not turning up. I am completely clueless on reading strings though. Is it possible for the file link to be there in KB size ?

Second question, if recovery is not possible, is it possible to somewhat get the names of the files as they were saved ?

• Moderators

In theory this is possible, in practice well, maybe.

If the folder was on an SSD, forget it, the files have gone forever.

Recuva does not recover folders, but files. The file list may show the owning folder alongside the file name, and the scan results can be filtered by the folder name.

Assuming NTFS file system, the file names are held in the Master File Table. Deleted file names can be overwritten. If Recuva isn't showing the file names then they have been overwritten. The file data may still exist and might be found with a deep scan, but identifying the files would be difficult. A deep scan also only finds the first extent of a file, so files in two or more extenst would be unrecoverable.

Files over 4 gb have their cluster addresses overwritten on deletion by NTFS, so although the file name might be found in a scan the data is not accessible.

In short, if the normal scan isn't showing the file names, recovery is somewhere between difficult and impossible.