10 day recovery time seems long??

Andy S

Hello
Am attempting recovery of 7 TB of deleted files in "excellent" shape found with a deep scan. I'm transferring it from old external hd to new one. The Recuva wizard says it will take 10 days. My desktop has an Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @ 2.7 GHz w/ 8 GB Ram and I'm using a USB 2 Hub/ and Windows 10. Does 10 days sound accurate and if so must I leave my machine running until completion or can I shut off to cool and then restart without losing data? My apologies if the answer was in plain sight and I missed it. I wasn't able to find any clear answer on duration of recovery process. Thanks for any help.

• Moderators

You can't pause the process, but you could select say one tenth of the files to be recovered and recover them, then another tenth later etc. It is awkward as you will have to keep track of where you are in the process.Disks are getting so large that the recovery process is almost beyond human control, with hundreds of thousands - or more - of recovered files to manage.

All files found with a deep scan (those with a [1234] file name) will be marked as excellent by definition, but may not be actually. Recuva can only find the first extent of a file so those with multple extents may well be unusable.