SD card says needs to be formatted.

Lozlo

Hello. I have a 32gb PNY SD card from a video camera. I was transferring the videos to a computer using a card reader and some sort of error occured during transfer. Only a few of the videos were transferred and when I put the card into either the computer or the camera itself it says needs to be formatted (which I have not done). I have tried Recuva and get an error Unable to Determine File System Type. Windows does assign a drive letter but if I select it from file explorer I get a pop up that says Card needs to be Formatted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have the same issue.  32gb Micro SD HC card from a phone.  It messed up when updating the operating software that was pushed out by Verizon and told me the card had been unmounted incorrectly.  After that, whether plugged into a computer or the phone, the device asks me to format (which I also have not done).  I tried Recuva and get the same error: Unable to Determine File System Type.  Windows assigns the USB plug in to the E:/ drive, but it doesn't run anything and just repeats that the cards need to be formatted.  Is there a way to repair the files that tell the card how to store things?  I really only care about the pictures and videos that were saved on the card!

Wow. That's my situation almost exactly. So far I have had no luck with several recovery programs. [MODERATOR EDIT]. I went back and forth with someone very helpful at [MODERATOR EDIT] the maker of [MODERATOR EDIT] but so far no luck. I just posted the question over there, why not format it and then try the programs again? Many of them claim to be able to recover data from cards and drives that have been formatted by accident. Ill let you know what I find out. Thanks for responding.

• Moderators

@Lozlo I had to edit your post. We are an official forum for piriform software, and etiquette would be not to mention competition software in the public forum.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Sorry Nergal. I meant no offence or breach of etiquette. :mellow: 

no problem

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com