ext4 Support

distancesprinter

Hi,

I downloaded Recuva (for Windows) to test its capability in recovering files from an accidentially formatted ext4 partition (on Linux).  I attached the Linux disk to Windows and Windows detected the disk in Disk Management.  It did not assign a drive letter because Windows obviously does not understand ext4.  Windows prompted me to format the disk so that it could be used, which I declined.  I'd like to use Recuva to scan the disk, but when I opened Recuva, it doesn't seem like I can run the application on the disk, as it does not have a drive letter.  Is there a way to get Recuva to "see" my ext4 disk?

I'm not sure how Recuva can support ext4 if it can't see an ext4 disk.  Can you please elaborate on what you mean when you say it supports ext4?

Perhaps I am just using the wrong procedure.

Fearing the worst, I've also used the Unix dd utility to create a block level backup .img of the disk in its current state.  Maybe if there's no way to get Recuva to see the physical disk, I can point it at the dd backup.img file?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Recuva can only recover from drives which windows can see and assign a drive letter to. Where do you see that ext4 is supported, I tried to look but saw nothing

Ok found the ext4 mention in the april 2015 release of 1.52

However, I'm not sure how this is achieved, but I believe a third party ext4 for windows driver is required.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com