CCleaner - Windows 10 MS Office Issues

jebtargs

The other night I installed CCleaner on my desktop which I recently upgraded to Windows 10; I previously used it on my laptop and figured I'd also use it on my desktop. I ran the cleaner as I normally would and that was that. However, today upon trying to open various MS Excel and Word files I received the following error notifications shown below. I did some Googling and came across some forum posts about CCleaner having adverse effects on Windows 10 regarding the registry cleaning. I proceeded to uninstall and reinstall my Microsoft Office 2013 applications however nothing was fixed upon trying the files again.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? One forum post stated that the only way to rebuild the potentially damaged registry is to reinstall the OS... I'm really hoping I don't have to do that. Does anyone have any ideas on a solution?

Thank you.

847ff6854f19d4db17e805b44d69ed01.png

• Moderators

You say you cleaned as you normally would, does that also include using the registry cleaner part of ccleaner?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

You say you cleaned as you normally would, does that also include using the registry cleaner part of ccleaner?

Yes in this instance on my desktop I used the registry cleaner. On my laptop CCleaner I unchecked all the registry options because I read it was safer as to not screw anything up. This time though I left the registry boxes checked (kind of slipped my mind that I previously kept these unchecked)

• Moderators

Registry cleaner is a separate tool, so you don't need uncheck anything before routine disc cleanup, just don't run the section's remove entries tool.

Did you make a backup of the removed entries (per ccleaner's suggestion). If so can you restore it (right click the file and merge in registry, or run regedit and file>import). If this doesn't work, perhaps a system restore point?

When cleaning registry it's best practice (window 10 or not, doesn't matter) to follow the simple advice in my signature. There, honestly (especially in the case of MS office 2013) hasn't been any difference between registry cleaning in 10 as opposed to earlier windows, people are just noticing the dangers more with the advent of Win10; my advice has been there since XP, and is the same now as then...

In short leave registry cleaning alone unless you are only removing what you KNOW you don't need.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com