Network Problems

krit86lr

Okay. So early yesterday morning I decided to check my router's manufacturer website for upgrades. (Bad idea :( )

I installed the one available. Now the other computer on the network cannot connect to the internet. It says that a connect is established, and excellent yet you can't access the interent.

After hours of reconfiguring over-and-over I uninstalled the router, and deleted the upgrade then rebooted. The wireless computer still can't connect to the internet, but the connection is there.

I have totally ran out of ideas. Except that I did notice that my Routing and Remote Access Service won't start. It gives the error code 340, but that code doesn't match Microsoft's KB. <_<

This seems completely ridiculous because I've done this so many times, and have never had this problem. Any ideas? :P

Thanks in advance!

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I forgot a few things. Both computers are running XP SP2, and the router is a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz with a cable modem. Both computers are running eTrust Antivirus, Spybot S&D, Windows Defender, Adaware, CWShredder, Ewido, SpywareBlaster, and DSOStop2.

The wireless computer has the following 2 errors in the event viewer.

1. Source Browser Event ID 8032

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NwlnkNb. The backup browser is stopping.

2. Source Browser Event ID 8021

The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser maser \\MyComputerName on the network \Device\NwlnNb.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi K

Have a look Here but it might not apply to your problem

You may have to phone your ISP to get advise on setting the network back up

I found the solution!! (A strange solution) It was one of the following. (Not sure which one because I did them back-to-back).

1. On my computer (host comp) I ran ipconfig /release then ran ipconfig /renew.

2. On my computer I ran the Esentutl.exe repair tool for security\database\secedit.sdb...backed up...then rebooted.

So either I needed the ipconfig /release /renew, or a security database repair. Thanks Hazelnut and Andy. I very much appreciated your help. :)