CCleaner does not retain settings

JimmyW

I'm using 5.00.5050 x64.  In each of the past few updates, I set up CCleaner to disable System Monitoring and Active Monitoring.  I also chose to not delete Office 2010 artifacts.  I even deleted the relevant registry keys.  However, every time I install an update, CCleaner resets all of the above options to the default.  Is this a bug or is there a way to permanently retain options from one update to the next?  Thanks. 

JimmyW

• Moderators

The monitoring as reported by other people gets turned-on by default when updating, or it was fixed, I don't know different people have reported it being turned on but for me it wasn't but then again I use the Portable build which uses an .ini file for the settings instead of the registry, then again I'm on WinXP 32-bit and there seems to be a trend with various x64 bug reports.

You can make your installed version use an .ini file instead by going into:

Options -> Advanced: Save all settings to INI file

The .ini file with the settings will be in the same exact folder where CCleaner.exe is located, it's named: ccleaner.ini

Then when settings are in an INI you can manually edit it with Notepad, this turns off the monitoring completely, search for the word Monitoring and make sure it has an =0 after it, it should look exactly like this:

Monitoring=0

Oh yeah, also make sure there are no CCleaner.exe processes running in the backup, perhaps reboot after changing the monitoring settings.