ccleaner seems to be hung on Windows system log files

bmclachlan

CCleaner seems to be hung up on Windows system log files. It is showing 44% completed but keeps repeating the same log file (MPcmdrun.log) over and over. I would hate to discontinue this process because CCleaner has been running for over 24 hours to delete approximately 20,000,000 temporary Internet files created through a very bad infection by The Trojan zero access.

Is there anything I can do without disrupting process to get CCleaner to ignore the system log files for the time being?

You are attacking what appears to be an extremely useful file related to fighting an infection.

Is it possible that MPcmdrun.EXE is still active and has locked its log file ?

http://my.safaribook...sks/id286751121

Just stop CCleaner.

Whatever has been deleted will not reappear because you stop CCleaner.

I strongly suggest that you cancel the tick against Windows Log files under the heading "System"

You can still clean the temporary Internet files under heading "Internet Explorer"

thanks. Actually the filename that cCleaner was reporting was MpCMDrun.log. I have now stopped cCleaner and it is starting to delete the files that it has identified up to this point. Once this process finishes, I will run cCleaner again without it trying to identify log files.

Yes, the file under attack was MpCMDrun.LOG,

but it would have been created by MpCMDrun.EXE which would probably have been used to fight the trojan or cleanup / monitor / observe in or after the removal of the trojan.