Defraggler shows page file in three locations but Windows DM only shows one

TheRichman

After looking at the drive map on all partition on all drives I notice that a backup partition and a data partition on a second separate physical drive apart from where the Windows 7 system is in stalled shows page file blocks. Windows Disk Management only shows a page file in C: where Windows is installed. Why does DeFraggler show the two additional page files on two other partitions on another drive? My C: drive is not anywhere near full. It had gotten close to full some many months back but even if other drives were utilized by windows I think windows page file manager would have reverted back to its default if set on 'system manages' or at least report the other page files if they were in fact real or legitimate. Seams to me that DeFraggler is misreporting this data as page files.

What is your version of Defraggler.

I am using 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate and Defraggler v2.14.706 (23 Apr 2013) (Portable version)

I think there was a defective earlier version 2.14.??? that was pulled.

Both Windows and Defraggler see both the 16 Megabyte absolute minimum pagefile on my Primary SSD without which Windows refused to boot,

and the normal 8 GB on pagefile on my Secondary HDD.

In my case the secondary 8 GB pagefile is used when 8 GB of RAM is not enough, so W.D.M. has to use it and see it.

Perhaps in your case W.D.M. may be content with what you have on C:\ and therefore disregards all others.

I suggest you go to the settings which configure Pagefile sizes and locations (Google knows and Hazelnut knows - but I forget how I did this 3 months ago)

and see what is established there.

Even if W.D.M. does not display them, I think you may find that the settings agree with Defraggler.

It is of course possible that the "supplementary" pagefile.sys files are now excluded from use but Windows forgot to delete them so they still exist for Defraggler to display.

• 1 month later...

Defraggler 2.02.253 ....I think I went with that version at the time as a few of the more recent versions were reporting issues. Interestingly the Virtual Memory manager shows no page file on those other two drive partitions. I wish there was a way to know for sure and how to fix or delete them. I don't even know how much space they are using as page files don't report anywhere.

Interestingly the Virtual Memory manager shows no page file on those other two drive partitions.

So what ?

Windows only tells you what it wants you to know :angry:

Windows Virtual Memory correctly tells me that C:\ holds a 16 MB Pagefile.sys, and E:\ has a system managed Pagefile.sys

Against R: it says NONE because it is NOT using the Pagefile.sys that resides on R:.

If I use the Defraggler and select R: and switch to the "Search" TAB,

and tick the boxes "Filename Contains:" and "Include non-fragmented files" and specify Pagefile.sys

then it reports a size of 8,387,896 KB in 5 fragments.

If I right click on that and select "Open Containing Folder" then Windows Explorer is launched and Pagefile.sys is selected,

and Right click / properties shows this as having a size of 7.99 GB (8,589,205,504 bytes)

Windows Explorer agrees with Defraggler.

Virtual Memory manager simply ignores what it is not using.

I don't even know how much space they are using as page files don't report anywhere.

I have now shown you how to access these potentially redundant and surplus files,

and how to know their locations and sizes.

I know how Pagefile.sys got onto R:\ and I know that I can safely remove it.

I do not know how you accumulated spare Pagefile's so do not know if yours are safe to remove.