Real-time protection in eTrust EZ antivirus

Francisco

Hello:

I'm using CA's eTrust EZ Antivirus. Every time its real-time protection detects a virus, it tells me to reboot immediately. My previous AV didn't do that: it simply quarantined the virus.

So much rebooting can be a nuisance. Do I really have to do it? Am I in danger if I don't reboot immediately as instructed?

Thank you.

Are you frequently getting viruses? Maybe you should post a hijack this log.

(I have never had etrust tell me to reboot to remove a virus it finds. It just brings up a pop up that says what was cleaned.)

No, I don't usually get viruses, thank God. And my computer seems to be working fine, no problems. I regularly scan online with Panda and Housecall and BitDefender and everything comes clean. But once in a while I've stumbled against malicious websites (who hasn't?) and then eTrust pops up telling me to reboot to remove all viruses detected. This is what I find surprising. My previous antivirus used to quarantine all malware, whereas eTrust tells me to reboot. Is this normal behaviour in an antivirus?

I think it depends on what the virus is. Some can be removed while windows is running some cant(which would be the reason for the reboot)

Thank you, rridgely.

My last reboot was due to the bitverify virus. Is it necessary to reboot for that one? I used Trend Micro's PC-Cillin suite before eTrust. Pc-Cillin didn't have to reboot to get rid of that virus.