Defraggler how often should I run it

keith1937

I run the Defraggler once a week but lately I have to run it several times to get it down to what I call a decent Defrag.

How often should I run it ? ( I use the computer every day)

I have been told by the so called experts from "Never" to "Weekly"

Keith

• Moderators

i do mine about every 2 months.

even then i don't do a full defrag, i let DF show the file list, then i sort based on the Fragments column and select all files > 10 frags.

then i re-sort based on the Size column and defrag all files > 10,000 KB.

in other words, i just do the biggest files with the most fragments.

all the little tossers i don't care about. i have Sys Restore off, Hibernation file off and a small PageFile, so they aren't a concern either.

i've always thought the amount of time doing the defrag shouldn't outway the performance gained, otherwise, what is the point.

for me, weekly is too often, you would see little to no benefit and risk shortening the hard drive life.

if you do see a benefit, you need to sort out the file system, like trying to get the most used folders/files to the end of the drive.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

all the little tossers i don't care about. i have Sys Restore off, Hibernation file off and a small PageFile, so they aren't a concern either.

Same here.

I do a full defrag (or freespace defrag) very rarely, because it's time & HDD consuming. I usually just defrag the files whenever I feel like it, but if there's alot of fragments, maybe twice a month. Full defrag maybe once in 3+ months.

I might defrag more often if I'd still have HDD instead of SSD (as Windows drive). My HDDs are just for storage; don't need much defragmenting.

I do a full defrag just when I've cleaned the virus on my disc, then Defraggler do its job very well to bring the speed to normal again. Never been scheduled yet.

But i do the scanning on C: drive every week to see if the defrag is more than 20%. I think it optimizes the startup time a bit.