Degragging with limited free space

Gbees

Hello,

I'm new to defraggler. This may have been submitted but I'm not sure how to search the forum. Anyway.

I'm running Windows XP. I have a 110GB disk. It has 6% (6.4GB free space). My C: drive is 66% fragmented.

I run Defraggler on the largest fragmented files. It runs for a while and removes about 200 or so fragments on files I select. It reaches a status of defragmenting (100%). Soon after it stops with this error.

"Defrag aborted. No files were defragmented. This operation cannot be done."

I can repeat the defrag. I have managed to get the fragments down from 9,000 or so to 1152. The file size doesn't decrease however.

Is it actually defragging? Any suggestions?

Can I defrag off another disk so that I have more free space to play with?

Any assitance accepted ...

• Moderators

Hi Gbees, and welcome to the forum.

It's recommended that you have a minimum of about 12% free space to enable a defrag.

But that may be short of the mark if you have large files on that drive such as video files, or even larger "Image" files. As in "back up Images", not pictures.

If you have another drive I would strongly recommend moving what data you can over to it, and try to create some permanent free space at least in the region of 12%, or even more if you can do it.

If not, and if finances allow, you really need a bigger drive.

Thanks for that. I have a new PC with 2TB and 16GB memory. The plan is to move to that. I have a Netgear drive attached and quite a few USB drives. So I have space elsewhere. I see that many of the files are related to Apple ipad and iphone apps. But what was interesting is somehow, SmartSync which I use for backup, had a complete copy of My Documents in its Program folder. 43GB! I deleted it and am now defragging, although it will take some time ...