recent run programs

bwhatch2

Assuming that you're using WinXP, go under Cleaner > Windows > Adavanced and try unchecking User Assist History.

Next time you use an app, Windows should put it in the most used program list.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

hi, thanks for the quick reply. you assume right, im using xp. the user assist history is not checked. it was when i first ran the cleaner, but when i realized the problem i was having i went and unchecked it hoping that would fix it. it didnt. any other ideas ?

thanks again

bryan

Ok, I just checked the User Assist History box to see if I would run into the same problem, and I did!

After running it, none of the apps that I used would pin themselves to the Start menu. So I tried restarting my computer, and what do you know, problem solved.

I'm not sure if this is a CCleaner problem or a Windows problem. Maybe MrG should look into this. I'm using WinXP Pro with SP2 and all current updates (as of Jan. 12, 2005), and I'm using CCleaner 1.26.218.

ding, ding!

guess i should reboot my system once in awhile :)

There really isn't any point to leaving your computer running all the time, it's just a waste of electricity (=money). With early computers, there was a point to doing that, but there isn't anymore. And rebooting straightens out a lot of things, as you just discovered.

There really isn't any point to leaving your computer running all the time, it's just a waste of electricity (=money). With early computers, there was a point to doing that, but there isn't anymore. And rebooting straightens out a lot of things, as you just discovered.

That is one of those things where it is totally personal preference. I generally turn my computer off when I am not using it, to save power and such, but there are reasons on both sides of the argument:

Reasons to leave it on:

1. Quicker access (no waiting for your OS and apps to load up)

2. Temperature remains the same at all times (constant heating and cooling can wear down the solder in the boards and cause them to malfunction)

Reasons to turn it off:

1. Saves plenty of power

2. Hard disk and other moving parts such as fans will last far longer

3. Processes are reset on startup, and restarting can fix many problems

ding, ding!

im on and off of my computer all day. when finishing one session at the computer i usually dont know how long it will be before im back. sometimes im away from it for 5 minutes, sometimes a few hours. when im sleeping is when i run virus or spyware scans or upload pics to my websight, so i dont usually turn it off at night either. otherwise my computer would be on and off 10-15 times a day.

i just need to remember to reboot once in awhile to let processes reset.

thanks all for the feedback

bryan