Defraggler-system cannot find the file specified

jednked

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum. I hope I go about this right.

By the way, I love CCleaner and Defraggler - They're the best I've come across.

I've used CCleaner for quite awhile - never any issues.

I just started using Defraggler and I love how well it does.

My issue is that I have 2 external drives (both 1 terrabyte Iomegas) besides the usual C drive. The C drive I keep all my programs on and misc microsoft. The F drive I store all my pictures, music and videos. The G drive is the backup to the F drive and is identical to the F. I recently reformatted the G and did a copy and paste from the F. The reason I did that was because I had not been consistant with my backups, so I decided to just start from scratch. Defraggler defrags the C and F drives fine but comes up with "Processing aborted due to: The system cannot find the file specified" on the G backup drive ( no data even shows up in the little blocks field). Now, if I defrag with my built-in Microsoft defrag or my Norton 360 defrag it recognizes the G drive (of course they don't do the great job Defraggler does). So what gives? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jednked

Copy and Paste is unreliable when done with Windows Explorer, especially if USB interfaces are involved.

I once had something like 5 off 6 GB image backup files I copied via W.E.

and when I validated the copies only 1 had the correct checksums - the other 4 were unusable.

All the originals validated perfectly.

You were copying 30 times as much data as I.

I strongly recommend that you download and use the free TeraCopy utility which would do your job perfectly.

After it has copied all the files it reads back all the copies and computes and compares hash checksums,

and if any copy is not a faithful duplicate then it allows you to retry the failures.

http://codesector.com/teracopy

A secure over-write (single-pass) would possibly give the benefit that after copying your files,

should one be accidentally deleted, Recuva would only see the latest accidentally deleted file and not detect the old and deleted copies.

Personally I think I would simply delete for a clean slate.before using Teracopy.

Anything which I consider precious is backuped up in partition image backups on a secondary internal HDD, and those backups duplicated to an external HDD,

hence I have the original source plus two backups.

NB I respect (but am too lazy to follow) those who say that two backups is not enough :)

Hi Alan B,

Thanks for the input.

Wow, a backup for your backup. You're good.

I was actually thinking of backing up to the cloud as well.

I think I might be a little paranoid about losing stuff. But I'm not sure I want to spend the money for it.

I'll post again after I run Teracopy to you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Jednked