Portable CCleaner obeys the registry ! ? ! ?

Alan_B

I had cause to download the latest installed CCleaner from FileHippo and investigate certain "default" surprises.

I closed the installed version and had lunch.

I normally use Portable version v3.16.1666 (64-bit) under Windows 7 Ultimate SP1,

because If it is working well I have better things to do than an immediate update.

I launched my Portable CC and was surprised that it told me of an available update.

It has never done that before because I do not want to know and CCleaner.ini knows I do not want to know..

Portable CC is unzipped into partition H:\ of my Secondary HDD.

It has never been in C:\ on my SSD, which is where v3.21 was installed.

I can only assume that default settings of v3.21 in the registry had defeated my choices held in CCleaner.ini,

even though I also have in the same folder as v3.16 a file "Portable.dat" which contains the line

#PORTABLE#

The only good news is that when I ran the uninstaller of v3.21 it cleaned all the files and the registry key which was overpowering my Portable version.

I have in the past suggested that when the installed versions are not working properly it is worth trying the Portable version which is not affected by registry values that may be corrupted and possibly uncorrectable.

Whether or not the user is told of an available update is a minor issue,

There are far more serious things that can happen,

and it is very disappointing that the Portable version obeys the registry.

Please fix this.