How/what to use in CCleaner

keystage

I'm a newbie and have been recommened to download CCleaner. I ran it and deleted the temporary files that were brought up, in the same way as usual through Control panel/Internet Options. Then the registry files list came up and I stopped dead. Can anybody look at them before I delete?? The next fright is the uninstall list. How does that work? Will it only delete highlighted items? It lists everything on my computer so does it work like the Add/Remove in Windows??

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Keystage :(

First off, the Cleaner removes more than just temporary internet files; it also cleans out application and OS temp files.

As far as the Issues cleaner goes, it isn't too aggressive, so I wouldn't worry about deleting the items listed. If you are nervous about it, make a backup (it prompts you to do this before you remove them). Save your backup .reg file somewhere where you will remember it, and keep it for a while, just to make sure that CCleaner hasn't wounded your system in any way. Then, when you are confident everything is okay, you can delete the backup file. If something does go wrong, just double-click the backup file, and it will insert itself back into the registry, like nothing happened.

If you'd like to show us your Issues list, that would be fine, but it is specific to your computer, so it would probably make more sense to you than it would to us.

And yes, the Uninstal tool works just like Add/Remove Programs in Windows, except it adds two features: Rename Entry and Delete Entry.

You only need to use Delete Entry if you have already uninstalled the listed app, and it won't disappear from the list. I've had this happen a few times, so it isn't unheard of. The Rename Entry is just a personal preference thing, like renaming your folders. It doesn't make any positive or negative difference to your system's performance.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

First off, the Cleaner removes more than just temporary internet files; it also cleans out application and OS temp files.

As far as the Issues cleaner goes, it isn't too aggressive, so I wouldn't worry about deleting the items listed.  If you are nervous about it, make a backup (it prompts you to do this before you remove them).  Save your backup .reg file somewhere where you will remember it, and keep it for a while, just to make sure that CCleaner hasn't wounded your system in any way.  Then, when you are confident everything is okay, you can delete the backup file.  If something does go wrong, just double-click the backup file, and it will insert itself back into the registry, like nothing happened.

If you'd like to show us your Issues list, that would be fine, but it is specific to your computer, so it would probably make more sense to you than it would to us.

And yes, the Uninstal tool works just like Add/Remove Programs in Windows, except it adds two features: Rename Entry and Delete Entry.

You only need to use Delete Entry if you have already uninstalled the listed app, and it won't disappear from the list.  I've had this happen a few times, so it isn't unheard of.  The Rename Entry is just a personal preference thing, like renaming your folders.  It doesn't make any positive or negative difference to your system's performance.

25672[/snapback]

Many thanks for your quick reply. I feel more confident after your explainations. The initial shock with the registry was because I can see files of games that I am currently using that CClean recommends deleting. However with a backup I'll go ahead.

Keystage. :)