Second defrags after first one starts all over?

GroteBozewolf

I just defragged (normal defrag) a 2 TB drive with only 800 GB data. Mostly HD video material and RAW pictures. It took over 6 hours. No, problem, as it was a lot of data and I ended up with 0 fragmented files. And all the large MPEG files and so ended up at the end of the drive.

However, about 10 minutes later, I started another (normal) defrag on that same drive (I was playing around with the scheduler). I apparently it had the urge to re-start the whole defrag, because it found some space in between the large files. It again took 6 hours to complete! And with the same result.

So I thought it was just bad luck. So I retried it on a smaller disk (160GB) with exactly the same result! And to me it makes no sense. If there are no fragmented files and I do not select defrag-freespace, why would it start all over? I am rather confused and am wondering is this behaviour is what it should be?

I run the latest Defraggler and only added the option: move large files.

That's the reason because I NEVER use the regular DEFRAG button. Its free space consolidation routines tend to shuffle all data around everytime you run it, even if there is no fragmentation to begin with. Too bad there should be an option to do a quick "fill gaps" operation or to skip free space consolidation altogether.

That's the reason because I NEVER use the regular DEFRAG button. Its free space consolidation routines tend to shuffle all data around everytime you run it, even if there is no fragmentation to begin with. Too bad there should be an option to do a quick "fill gaps" operation or to skip free space consolidation altogether.

There is a quick defrag is that what you mean ?