CCleaner v3.20.1750 not cleaning Chrome v20.0.1132.47 (Typed addresses)

When cleaning with CCleaner, it cleans everything in Chrome but does not clean typed in addresses. So after cleaning when viewing chrome history all the addresses accessed by typing them in manually will still remain.

CCleaner version: v3.20.1750

Chrome version: v20.0.1132.47

• 5 weeks later...

I had the same problem, and I think that the Chrome sync is definitely the culprit. You either need to stop using sync entirely, or tell Chrome not to sync your history anymore.

Try one of these:

in Chrome, go into Settings -> Advanced Sync Settings and uncheck "Omnibox History." Then clear your browsing history in Chrome and close it. From then on, CCleaner's cleaning should work.

OR

Go into Google Dashboard, scroll down to "Chrome sync" and click "Stop sync and delete data from Google."

OR

sign out on Chrome and don't ever sign in again.

Are you signed into Chrome?

I had the same problem and then signed out and everything works fine again, I'm guessing that CCleaner is working ok but Chrome is reloading everything from the 'cloud' when it's started up again.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators

Are you signed into Chrome?

I had the same problem and then signed out and everything works fine again, I'm guessing that CCleaner is working ok but Chrome is reloading everything from the 'cloud' when it's started up again.

Hope this helps.

I had the same problem, and I think that the Chrome sync is definitely the culprit.

If you want CCleaner to clean your Chrome history, try this:

in Chrome, go into Settings -> Advanced Sync Settings and uncheck "Omnibox History"

OR

sign out on Chrome and don't ever sign in again.

You can also go into Google Dashboard and deactivate sync from there.

It's quite possible this may be mentioned somewhere else on the forum which I haven't spotted, but if not, I'm sure this good spot which makes perfect sense, will be appreciated by a lot of folk.

I've always avoided the "Cloud" save option with search providers, and because I've never used it, I've never experienced the issue reported in this thread.

Thanks for posting this info "Electricmonk" and "steveinillinois".

:)

• 2 weeks later...