fragmentation can't be reduced beyond 20%

balt123

Hey guys...i have a problem ..

I had a hard drive (WD1001FALS) and the fragmentation couldn't be reduced beyond 20-25% no matter what i did or how many times i ran defragment. i figured it could be because of hard drive mulfanction or something so i bought a new one (WD1002FAEX) and installed my O/S on that drive.

I installed a few windows updates and most of the programs i need and then i installed defragler.

When i pressed analyze it said "Fragmentation: 50%" i press Defragment (the normal one not the fast one) the defragmentation is almost over and the disk is at 30% fragmentation. i will try to run it again just in case but i have a feeling it won't go down much further

so ... i'm wondering.. could my motherboard have something to do with that?

I am also experiencing lag and audio/video distortion at random times (even before i replace the old hard drive) so.. if there was a problem with my motherboard (e.g sata controller mulfunction) would that explain the symptoms?

thanks...

Oh i forgot to say that i'm running windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)

and my hardware is this: (if it helps at all)

AsRock 990FX Fatal1ty

AMD FX 8120

16GB PATRIOT 1600MHz (AMD performance series)

WD1002FAEX (Western Digital 1TB Sata 6gb/s)

Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850

750Watt power supply

Would be nice to know the defraggler version you are using.

Also, just for kicks, I wonder how it would do under XP SP2 or higher, while your experimenting, lol!

Lag? Audio/Video distortion? -> Can be from many things! What web browser (and version of it) are you running? What programs (startup items) do you have listed on your machine? What do you mean by audio/video lag... Online vids, gaming vids, what?

_____

Things to try:

- Defrag: -> Update to latest 2.10 & under options, exclude Hibernate & System restore files.

- Lag -> Update your audio/video to latest drivers. Win 7 update makes this easy. -> Update/Select your driver updates/apply. Also, try using Firefox version 12 with the latest flash. Some browsers may do better/worse. Check your programs. If you are using bitcomet/torrent etc, they can cause your Internet Connection to drag. Some ISP's will auto disconnect an IP with too many requests. Ensure you don't have dust on the fans. Under power options in the Control Panel, try the performance mode, instead of standard. Use an A/V such as AVG free, as opposed to resource hogs like NAV or McAfee.

Not sure if any of these will help, but hey!