Windows Live Mesh and Skydrive

rridgely

• Moderators

Ok, so I was exploring my laptop(lenovo I bought a few months ago) and noticed that it had a program in the Windows Live folder in my start menu called Live Mesh. I always skipped installing that on my other computers but it was preinstalled on this one.

I usually skipped it because I didn't know what it did, BIG MISTAKE. This thing is awesome.

I'm not sure if anyone here uses dropbox but live mesh is basically the same thing but way cooler. You can synch up to 5gb of files onto skydrive that will sync with other computers just like drop box(but drop box only gives you 2gb for free). Another cool thing about this is that because it syncs your files with skydrive, the files can be edited in the free versions of MS office that skydrive has on it(like google docs, but MS Office based).

On top of file syncing it also allows remote connections. So you can access the files on one computer even if it wasn't in your "sync" folder. It will also sync your Internet Explorer favorites and your office settings(templates, custom dictionary, styles, ect).

I was already using skydrive because it allowed me to automatically save my documents created in office 07 directly to it. This allows me to synch the rest of the stuff I was doing in drop box but now its all in one location. This is a must have if you regularly use more than one computer. In my case its that I hate using a laptop at home, but I do most of my work on it. This allows me to use my desktop without transferring everything onto a flash drive, which is easy to loose.

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-other-programs?T1=t4

The windows live programs are my single favorite thing about upgrading from xp to windows 7. I love live mail, movie maker, photo gallery, and now live mesh. Only part of the suite I don't use is messenger(I use skype), and the family controls(which are great if you have kids, but I don't).