Defraggler (v2.08.373) not completely defragging free space

Arbie

I doubt this is a bug, and it isn't really a suggestion, so I'll describe it here. I have read the tech description on free space defrag but still wonder at what's happening.

When I run Defraggler in "Defrag Free space " (normal mode - not allowing fragmentation) I often DO get considerable fragmentation. I can end up with 300+ files fragmented this way. If this is unavoidable then perhaps the second menu choice / type should be changed to "Allow more file fragmentation" to indicate you'll get this with any freespace defrag.

Also, when the process finishes there are blue blocks ("Used space") remaining at the end of the drive, so it looks like the freespace wasn't all consolidated. But the popup on these says "No files are in the block".

This is on a 1TB external USB drive with about 600GB of data on it. There is a single 1GB file; all the rest are 300MB or less.

Thanks for the great programs

@arbie, I notice this too. 32 Bit 7 & 32 Bit XP. Also, happens under 64 Bit 7.

Files will be consolidated, but appears to be considerable number of _______ gaps _ here ______________________ and __ there if you know what I mean.

As though it is not FULLY consolidating the files. Even if you set it to ignore Sys Restore & Hibernate. Really annoying when you want to resize a partition, but can't (because there is still some little file at the very end of the drive, or somewhere in between, if not 10/20/50 or so little ones).

Don't get me wrong, Defraggler DOES improve fragmentation levels quite a bit. But some work is still left to be done.

Also, the Analyze & Current fragmentation state always erroneously update to carbon copies of the amount of fragmentation. Analyze start frag rate should stay the same as it was at the beginning of the defrag process.

Lastly, the 2.08 version STILL fails to fix the "telephony" brackets problem on the parenthesis brackets under Windows XP/SP1/SP2/SP3, with or without visual styles or themes. And with the latest display drivers, etc, etc.