see files while still scanning

bkbartje

• Moderators

Hi Bart.

I don't think there's any way to do that without cancelling the scan, which then shows you the files scanned up to that point.

But it means starting again I'm afraid.

If you know what you are looking for you could narrow the search ...

Quick Start: If you know the file names:

Quick Start: Recovering files of a specific type (or in a specific location):

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

But I didn't know either of them, so had had the search the whole disk.

If you didn't know the names of the files you were looking for, that would make things pretty difficult.

You must then know the location the files were deleted from?

If so, you can set "Tree View" in "Options/General/View Mode", which will display the scanned files in the same directory structure they were in when they were deleted.

And if you select "Restore Folder Structure" under the "Actions" tab, you can restore any found files into the same directory structure, although on another disk or partition.

Hope that helps.

And in the end most files didn't had a name at all,

IS THAT REALLY POSSIBLE.

Does Recuva detect files and report them without even hanging a name tag on them.

I think you have seen a phenomena that I have never experienced,

though it has been a few years since I last tried Recuva.

Perhaps the names may have been modified, but that is quite different from files without names.

• Moderators

Recuva certainly does, Alan. When a deep scan is run Recuva (I assume) reads through the unallocated clusters and identifies the type of file by the presence, or otherwise, of a file signature. The cluster does not necessarily contain the file name or any other info such as folder structure or extents. If it did then a rename or move (of a live file) would be a far longer process than just modifying the MFT. So you do get a lot of files in ascending sequence called [00074].jpg, for instance.

In a normal scan it's the MFT that's scanned and so all the info can be displayed.

Recuva even in normal scan usually has a bunch of zero-length files completely un-named.

However if Bart didn't know what files he was looking for then he wouldn't know when he had found them, so it would be difficult to know when to stop the scan even if the results were being shown.

PS Recuva is more sophisticated than the above, but it explains the un-named files.