How much need free space?

Earmack

Hi,

Just start used u programm=)

My main HDD work good, I made qucik defrag, next defrag and before this I just 13% free space...and 25% defrag. After I have 5% defrag (all 5% it's my virual memory) ;) .

But with other drivers I have problem I have 500GB HDD and I have 8, 9 % free space and in defragmintaion I received something like U don'y have enough free space :blink: ? So how much defraggler need free space on HDD to finish work right? :unsure:

AMD LCS 5970 750/1050

Nvidia nforce 790i Ultra SLI MCP

Q6600 2.4 => 3.0

OCZ DDR3 PC3 14400 Platinum 1024 x 4

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000 M

Windows 7 64x Home Premium

• Moderators

Hi Earmack, and welcome to Piriform.

A general guide with most defragging programs is about 12% free space required to carry out a defrag.

It depends of course on how big some of the fragmented files are as to whether a defrag program will work with less free space.

If you don't have anything on that drive you could dispense with, then maybe move some stuff to another drive. Or you could maybe try defragging individual files, but you may hit the same problem with large files.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/defraggler/using-defraggler/defragmenting-a-folder-or-file

Or carry out a "Quick Defrag" and limit the size of files Defraggler will work on.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/defraggler/defraggler-settings/defraggler-options-quick-defrag

Hope that helps.

Thx 4 answer, I understand ;)

Last few days I try defrag with native win7 app/prog...but with u app/prof Defragler resut more & much better! Really good * must have programm B)

P.S. Right now try defrag one of my old hdd (500GB), analys say 93% frag :lol:, I think i need wait few days before defrag finifshed work with this hdd;)

AMD LCS 5970 750/1050

Q6600 2.4 => 3.0

That's an impressive amount of fragmentation. :)

Yep :D 1 day left (~25-26 hours non stop work), 73% on the way=) And 25% complete....I think I need 2 or 3 days non stop work more :D

AMD LCS 5970 750/1050

Q6600 2.4 => 3.0