Speccy came to the rescue . . .

GoneToPlaid

For the past few months but very rarely my computer was rebooting after momentarily displaying the dreaded BSOD. I didn't bother to really think about it since it happened so rarely, but finally one day after the computer rebooted I immediately ran Speccy. Speccy threw an error when testing my computer's RAM. So I powered off the computer, unplugged it and opened the case, and removed and then reseated the RAM. Presto! That solved the issue and the very rare BSOD has not occurred again in over a month now.

Another issue in which Speccy helped. The Windows Event Viewer was occasionally logging Event ID 51 error messages related to hard drive I/O. But in Speccy I noticed that all of my hard drives and CPU seemed to be running at somewhat higher temperatures versus what I remembered them normally running at. It turns out that one of the two fans inside the power supply had failed. I replaced the failed fan, the Event 51 error messages no longer are occasionally logged in the Event Viewer, and Speccy now reports temperatures which are lower and in line with what I remembered Speccy reporting months ago.

What can I say? Speccy definitely is a very handy program to have on a computer.