Defrag/Registry

Bucky

• Moderators

This forum is being really weird for me today.

The post I was trying to edit just disappeared on me.

So, basically I misread that your query was about Defraggler and I gave you an answer based upon CCleaner, which does scan and remove dead and defunct registry entries (Issues), so is, I think, better fitted to your query.

You were wise not to follow up on the "buy before we fix" marketing ploy. I hate that, and I wouldn't worry about the number of entries found.

Some registry cleaners scan very deeply, and as a result flag entries for removal which in many cases shouldn't be removed.

CCleaner is regarded as a relatively safe registry cleaner, and I say relatively because registry cleaning always carries an element of risk, which is why it's imperative that you follow the dialogue to back up the entries to be deleted.

Hope that helps.

Registry Booster sounds like scaremongering software, sadly many people are duped into buying something they don't need and don't work.

There are many freeware alternatives, however in regards to CCleaner being relatively safe I would suggest using it with caution.

The latest version is known to be more aggressive deleting legitimate keys for file types http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=31586

So far I've not been offered any explanation or acknowledgement over this serious issue.

Richard S.

• Moderators

That must leave you feeling confused Bucky.

The file extensions feature is definitely sparking a lot of discussion, but I have to say I've never unchecked it, and I've never had an issue after removing all flagged entries.

I monitored one particular entry flagged for a program I still use, and the reg entry popped straight back into the registry each and every time I successfully launched the program. So we're not all having a problem with this, although I do agree some clarification from the devs would help.