In dire need of help, harddrive is Satanly slow..

mrmikeman

I have a 100g LapTop 2.5 hard drive hooked up to an EZ Connect device, plugs into the IDE port on the hard drive, then plugs in to my own laptop via USB.

I plugged this thing into 3 computers, all three times it took 10-20 minutes for ANYTHING to happen. There was Some kind of reading cause the mouse would switch to an hour glass for a sec.. and w.e

At first the Disk Management tool would take about the same time to list the hard drive, at some point the device manager showed the USB Mass Storage pretty quick.. Thing is I use Acronis Disk Director and it take over 7 hours for it to Commit some stuff.. uhg i cant even remember all the different things I did this hard drive... ChkDisk MBRFIX etc etc... some how it now reads and everything.

Problem is that its empty. it was not supposed to be empty, I run Recuva in Deep Scan and it took damn near or over 7 hours for it to finish

Calculating Time. Which when it was done was going to take 22 days, then when I got out of the shower, it was like 39 days. Just getting the drive this far after so long I was like oh snaps Recuva is all i gotta do now to try and get things back.

I let it run for about an hour after it told me 39 days.. To see what files it recovered so far, it was 3 pictures..

BTW I have it set to only recover pictures..

I am hoping there is some magic trick to make this not take 39 days.

I am unable to hook this drive to anything but the EXConnect device..

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot everyone!

ah yes i knew i left something out, it was Looping, the loading Windows XP screen would show, then restart the computer. Asks how i want to start, Normal, Save Mode, etc.. I tried safemode, same thing..

I removed it so i could hook it up to another computer as a secondary hard drive to remove the files from it.

It was looping and this is why i havce the laptop now was to try and get it to work, i thought before I ran chkdsk and all of that i would try to access the files and back them up because the person said he has very important documents on it that he needs desperately.

But when i hooked it up as a secondary, via EXConnect IDE to USB any action took very long to notice, at first it would not show up in My Computer or Disk Managemnt, but when I unplugged the USB from the computer, the hdd icon in My Computer would Flash, becoming visible for just a moment, then disappearing.

The laptop is experiencing a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) you don't see the error screen because it's set to reboot on system failure.

To get around this select the boot option "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and write down the STOP code.

As for the IDE to USB converter I don't have an explanation apart from that it probably not compatible with the drive or detected a problem.

My advice would be to put the hard drive back in the laptop and try to determine the STOP code for the BSOD.

Secondly download and burn a copy of Hiren's Boot CD this tool comes with Mini XP a bootable version of Windows with flash drive support.

Boot Hiren's Mini XP and double click on the "HW Plug and Play" icon this is required to enable USB mass storage support.

Next double click on My Computer see if C drive is readable and then copy all the important files over to a flash drive.

If C drive is inaccessible then: Start, Run, "cmd.exe" and enter the following:

chkdsk c: /f (for quick check)

or

chkdsk c: /r (full drive check)

If chdsk finds and corrects any file system errors it's very likely the laptop would be able to boot as normal.

Richard S.

• 2 weeks later...

The laptop is experiencing a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) you don't see the error screen because it's set to reboot on system failure.

To get around this select the boot option "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and write down the STOP code.

As for the IDE to USB converter I don't have an explanation apart from that it probably not compatible with the drive or detected a problem.

My advice would be to put the hard drive back in the laptop and try to determine the STOP code for the BSOD.

Secondly download and burn a copy of Hiren's Boot CD this tool comes with Mini XP a bootable version of Windows with flash drive support.

Boot Hiren's Mini XP and double click on the "HW Plug and Play" icon this is required to enable USB mass storage support.

Next double click on My Computer see if C drive is readable and then copy all the important files over to a flash drive.

If C drive is inaccessible then: Start, Run, "cmd.exe" and enter the following:

chkdsk c: /f (for quick check)

or

chkdsk c: /r (full drive check)

If chdsk finds and corrects any file system errors it's very likely the laptop would be able to boot as normal.

Richard S.

The thing is, i go the hard drive to "work" through the EX Connect device. Only the hard drive is empty, or appears to be.

I never manually or knowingly formatted though, unless these very long waits I had to sit through something was happening and formatted, I don't see hooking the hard drive back up to the laptop as doing much, only because viewing the contents of the hard drive using another computer, the hdd is empty, thats why i used recuva to try and recover them.

So should I still hook up the hard drive and do what you said?...

Thanks!