Windows cannot load the locally stored profile

Etsukiordaa

I have setup CCleaner do a cleanup and shutdown and it's been like that for a long time with no problem. But last time out of nowhere when I turned on the computer Windows took a bit longer than usual and I was greeted with this message instead of my desktop.

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

Then after clicking OK came this message:

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes to your profile will be lost when you log off.

My computer usage has been the same routine for a while and I hadn't done anything new? so my only guess was some kind of hardware failure.

I rebooted two times and the same things kept happening and in the second time I just run CCleaner desperately and fixed a couple of issues (I think MRU related, nothing major) and it rebooted normally! and now I'm writing this in Firefox and everything is back to the way it was.

I would like to understand what happened here and what if next time it doesn't fix itself like in science fiction movies.

OS Windows XP Pro SP3

CCleaner v3.03.1366