Separate fragmentation/consolidation graphs

Super Fast

Defraggler confuses me a lot sometimes.

It does show the amount left to defrag, but users mistakenly think "Oh, this will only take a minute... 1,547 fragments?"

Is there a way to add a Consolidation % left to go, maybe below the defrag % left to go as well?

Example:

Current State:

43% Fragmentation

29% Consolidation <--------------

928 Fragmented Files (5.2 GB)

32,546 Total Files to Consolidate <---------------

15,538 Total Fragments

I added the arrows next to the ones that would help users know "why" defraggler "takes so long" compared to other products that only defrag!

P.S. Defraggler shows % Defragmented, but if it showed both Defrag % + Consolidated %, it would be so much easier graphically understand to users, I think.

If you just do a file defrag (Analyze->File List->Check boxes->Click "Defrag Checked Files") Defraggler's speed is comparable to those "fast" defragmenters. I wouldn't mind something like this though because a lot of people don't actually know what clicking the defrag button does.

Won't that be hard to predict up front? Because after the first files are defragged and shifted up is when you know the size of the holes available, which files stored from later in disk may fit well (rather than shifting every single file by a few blocks).

Isn't Quick Defrag & Defrag fairly clear already about what to expect in speed terms?

The one caveat that I thought this idea had was that it would be hard to predict how many files would need to be consolidated. If they don't do it well it might be like trying to predict how long the defragmentation process will take; which when using a paid-for product told me how long and then just kept adding 5 more minutes when that time expired.

I suppose it might be able simply to show count of the total number of files to process, subracting those known compacted at beginning and end (when move large files option is used) of disk. Then every time progress is made, and perhaps large blocks of files are skipped, the count can be lowered accordingly.

Seems to me, Defraggler usually tends to accelerate as it goes, though I have seen it seem to get "stuck" at times on certain "Defragmenting %"'s for a reason that's not clear to me, but appeared to be involving multiple passes and re-defragging certain areas. So a problem might well be innacurate prediction of progress.

Seems to me, Defraggler usually tends to accelerate as it goes, though I have seen it seem to get "stuck" at times on certain "Defragmenting %"'s for a reason that's not clear to me, but appeared to be involving multiple passes and re-defragging certain areas. So a problem might well be innacurate prediction of progress.

I've found that that normally happens when there is a large and/or highly fragmented file in the way.