Video clip deletion failure

senga

I am unable to delete, either via CCleaner, Windows Media Player 12 or Windows Explorer, a ?.wmp? suffixed file whose content relates to a video clip. In WMP, the Location property starts with a ?mms://? url. In Explorer the file?s cue content starts with an ?http://? url; also, there is a Properties reference to a Cache name which is suffixed ?.wmp?. Connection to the Internet appears to play a role; the clip only displays when a connection to the Internet exists. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium and browsers in use are Internet Explorer 8 (InPrivate Browsing) and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13. I would be grateful for any help or direction to a possible source.

• Moderators

Just in case this helps

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpromedia/thread/48d235c9-cdfd-473f-b690-168c1fda0e2a

Also have you tried booting into safe mode and deleting it?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

You'll only get the clip displaying when connected to the Internet as I think it's just a link to a "Streaming Video" file, and it probably won't delete when WMP is open as it's "in use".

It's either just the link, or the file itself is laying in a temp folder somewhere, but I've a feeling it's just a link.

Where and how it's stored is the tricky bit. It might be stored as a "Playlist". In my XP that's here:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\My Playlists"

This is the first time I've seen this problem, so I could be completely way off, but I think I'm warm.

A long shot is finding WMP 12's equivalent to this checkbox in WMP 11:

This may clear any stored/saved streaming links.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum by the way.

You'll only get the clip displaying when connected to the Internet as I think it's just a link to a "Streaming Video" file, and it probably won't delete when WMP is open as it's "in use".

It's either just the link, or the file itself is laying in a temp folder somewhere, but I've a feeling it's just a link.

Where and how it's stored is the tricky bit. It might be stored as a "Playlist". In my XP that's here:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\My Playlists"

This is the first time I've seen this problem, so I could be completely way off, but I think I'm warm.

A long shot is finding WMP 12's equivalent to this checkbox in WMP 11:

This may clear any stored/saved streaming links.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum by the way.

Many thanks for your response.

Your suggestion didn't appear to work. I tried the approach suggested in http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7music/thread/6a75ee11-0719-402e-962b-7f2016d36eea/ which has appeared to work for me as far as WMP 12 is concerned.However, I still have the file in my file system.

From your response I navigated to the article titled "How to Delete an Undeletable File". This doesn't claim relevance to Windows 7. Could you tell me whether it does or if it doesn't, provide a suitable link?

• Moderators

Pleased you managed to fix it.

The most favoured way to delete undeletable files/folders in Windows 7 seems to be the command line way to take ownership of the files.

How to Delete Undeletable Files in Windows 7:

Another suggestion is to close Windows Explorer via Task Manager, delete file and enable Windows Explorer again. Very simple and straightforward if it works:

How to delete an undeletable file from Windows xp/ windows 7:

And then there's the software option, and "LockHunter" seems to work, (Unlocker won't work in Win 7 apparently), although not having Win 7 I have no idea.

LockHunter: (64bit and 32bit)

It's listed on a very reputable site, and I've just downloaded it myself and it's just a couple of MB installed.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Didn't see your post hazel.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that my problem has been solved and that it might be helful if I summarised the solution(s) that worked.

Re WMP 12, it appears that the application has benn designed so that the last video viewed cannot be removed from the Unsaved List. One solution appears to be to view an acceptable video in place of one that is unwanted. Another solution appears to be the approcah suggested in the link http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7music/thread/6a75ee11-0719-402e-962b-7f2016d36eea/ .

LockHunter (64bit 32bit) removed the undeletable file hidden within the file system.

I am grateful for all the help offered.