System Restore Drive Indicator

rajeev

Hi I guess quite a few out there by now have 2 or more drives attached to the system , in my case I use one SSD and one HDD and it would be nice to know while deleting additional system restore points, which storage place i am deleting one from, at this time I have no way of knowing is it from my SSD or HDD I guess this is a nice featue to have but guess too late for the new one too be released soon. I use my Hard Drive to keep back up and it is very importand for me to know.

My experience with XP Home edition and HDD (Laptop internal + USB2 External) only (no SSD) is :-

1. Windows System Restore and also CCleaner identify restore points by date only;

2. Internally they are currently held in folders RP1171 through to RP1183 located in the special hidden system location

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{F6EA6CAA-B744-447E-8F9E-B9A9507C7CB4}\;

3. I never allow them to exist on my external removable drive, BUT sometimes when that is connected XP may glitch and forget my prohibitions, and will immediately add a corresponding ?:\System Volume Information\etc to each of the new NTFS partitions, AND will immediately include the latest R.P. (e.g. RP1183) on each of them;

4. I believe that if I fail to cancel this capability, then any "system" file deleted from drive X:\ will be held in the latest RP1183 etc on X:\ just as "system" files deleted from drive C:\ are copied to the latest RP on C:\, and if a new Restore Point is created (either manually or once a day or upon software installation etc) then immediately the same newly incremented RP number folder is created on both c:\ and X:\.

I see no reason why you should have any different situation with Vista or W7, and doubt that SSD will make a difference.

I am sure that when you delete a R.P. it will do NOTHING other than remove the registry hive held in the system drive R.P.;

the intention is that the files copied to the R.P.'s will NOT be deleted, otherwise there is no way to return to an earlier "un-deleted" R.P.

Alan