Is the HD fragmented or not?

waitek

Very odd. I just installed Defraggler and tried running it on a new HD where I've just installed Win7 Pro 64-bit plus my applications. Defraggler reports 38% fragmentation, and Microsoft's Disk Defragmenter reports 0% fragmentation (see attachment). They can't both be correct, and the discrepancy truly is alarming. With a fresh install, I have a hard time believing Defraggler, but 0% doesn't seem right either. Is there a tried and true utility I can run on Win7 to get another opinion?

Defraggler reports 38% fragmentation, and Microsoft's Disk Defragmenter reports 0% fragmentation (see attachment). They can't both be correct, and the discrepancy truly is alarming.

If you have a huge file like pagefile.sys in only 2 big fragments on a fresh Win7 64 install it could account for most of the fragmentation you're seeing. I think from what I can see, the Windows defragger ignores fragments above a certain size, correctly regarding the extra disk seeks as insignifiant to disk read performance.

Have a look at the file list, large files in only a few fragments can increase the headline fragmentation % alarmingly.