HDD data not correct yet v.1.06

HKB

This is just to inform that the Hard Drive data is not all correct.

For all intents the Smart Data is OK.

But the RPM reads 5400 where it is 7200rpm. I know the implication of readings

when a drive can be asleep/at rest and so on. But this software is apparently

capable of reading & seeing both facts which is a huge plus over other software.

The Interface/Connector reads ATA/133 with 40pin IDE connect. Totally NOT correct!

The Connector is SATA (and it's SATA3. The max access for SATA2 or SATA3 are well

known facts. The Drives run in AHCI mode for whatever advantage it brings and also

for my eSATA connections.

Interface: reads as Unknown ...... Why?

Capacity & Real Size data is all Correct thankfully.

Other than that I find it to be a cute non obtrusive app I'd like to see improved &

carried on my rescue sticks when I go on repairs. This drive issue needs attention

as one cannot use the app this way. I'd use it to avoid opening a pc to do simple

replacements. But at this rate I'd pick up an IDE drive for a friend only to find

he needed a SATA type drive. The benefits of using this app in it's current state

are null.

I do really like a lot about this software. I'd pay for it to If it was required, but

not in it's current state. The simplest of errors are the most costly. And HD's are

where a great many problems occur, almost 90% of my repairs fall back to the HD in one

form or another.

hkb

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a little something to add to this point as well.

I noticed today while flipping around in v1.06.191 x64 that some of the specs for my drives were inaccurate or missing entirely.

Speccy reports that my two Seagate ST3500320AS drives (500GB, 7200) have 8MB cache, when in reality they both have 32MB. Interface also says "Unknown Interface" when it should say SATA2 (or SATAII, or SATA 3Gbps, take your pick since they're all the same). The temperature is fine though (corroborated by HD Tune Pro 4.50).

My third drive, a Western Digital WD2500JS-75NCB3 (250GB, 7200) is being reported as "TB/2.5-inch" under Form Factor, which is incorrect as it's a 3.5-inch drive. Interface says "Unknown" (missing the "Interface" part as the above drives show). The temperature for this one is also correct, again corroborated by the same application as above.

Personally, I think the SMART data presentation could be a little more user-friendly. HD Tune provides both the raw data as Speccy does, but also gives you translations in layman's terms along with converting the raw data into units that you can make sense of when you select individual SMART entries.

The interface type issue absolutely needs to be addressed though. I can see where this would cause problems/delays as pointed out above for people using it as a means to audit machines in the wild.