Windows temp files

TKidd

I have acquired (don't know how) a number of tmp files in the C:/windows/temp folder. Most of these take the form CAVn (n= any hexadecimal number 1 to F), though there are also REG and Perflib_Perfdata files too. CCleaner cannot clean out these files, and manual deletion is also impossible, as this generates an error message that the file is in use. Can anyone suggest how these files might be cleaned out? They don't take up a great deal of memory, but they are an irritation. Thanks for any suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Hello, and I apologize for the late answer (I am actually swiming through the old posts to find ones like yours). I assume you are speaking of files which look along the lines of

~DF011BDBEBB367C86A.TMP

I freaked out at first (the other day) when I saw that ccleaner was not deleting these files from the %temp% folder. These files (as found by using unlocker) are related to internet explorer and programs which embed internet explorer. Most of the time they are deleted when internet explorer closes completely, I did find that they did not delete when I killed the process via taskmanager, but it was no longer locked with outlook closed and ccleaner took it out easily.

I hope this answer explains these files to you

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com