Deep scan causes memory ballooning

Zain

I have a USB external 1TB Drive. The Fast scan feature doesn't work at all, so Deep Scan is the only way.

Recuva's memory footprint takes off from about 40MB up to as much ram it can take up until it stops with an "Out of memory" error. This only takes a matter of a few minutes for this to pop up.

I've tried this on 512MB, 2GB, and 4GB memory boxes.

Anybody know how I can fix this? If I cancel the scan before it takes up too much memory (up to 800MB or so), it allows me to restore what it has found on the drive so far. However, longer scans don't appear to work.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

I have a USB external 1TB Drive. The Fast scan feature doesn't work at all, so Deep Scan is the only way.

Thanks,

I have the exact same problem. Same size USB drive on a 2GB Pentium D machine. Also the deep scan failed on a 1GB machine. I hope somebody comes up with a solution.

• Moderators

I've moved this to Recuva Bugs so that Piriform devs have a better chance of picking it up. It looks - to my poor eyes - that perhaps the dynamic tables Recuva builds are overwhelming memory when scanning a 1 tb drive. But why the normal scan fails I've no idea. Perhaps posting some O/S specs etc would help. How many files are found when the scan is cancelled at 800 mb?