Remove un-used file extensions check...

mr don

CCleaner is pretty good about most things, but I was wondering why they have a check for "Unused file extensions" in the registry?

This seems pretty dangerous to me, as whenever you run CCleaner Registry Cleaner with that checkmarked (it is always checked by default, unless you uncheck it), then it always results in entries that cause problems.

I think most of it should be safe to remove, but checking for unused extensions? Are you kidding me? This is one area I feel CCleaner doesn't need to touch. Most users to not know "Oh, ok, I can't remove THAT extension? I trust CCleaner! Go ahead, remove it!"

This causes so many problems because for example:

- User installs KM Player. KM Player becomes default used for .MP3, .WMA, .MPEG etc.

- User uninstalls KM Player. Windows Media Player does not get set back for default for those file types.

- CCleaner detects left over "KM Player" files, that is to say, now, nothing is being used for .Mp3 etc, so CCleaner "helpfully" suggests they are safe to remove!

There are all kinds of problems that can be avoided! I like the registry cleaner in CCleaner, but I feel that the search for unused extensions is simply too dangerous, novice or expert to really be any use. I feel that CCleaner can be 10 times safer & avoid mucking up many times fewer novice computers by simply avoiding that 1 registry check alone!

Removing file extensions? This cannot be safe, can it?

This has never caused me problems - but I am always scared it may.

Mostly because all it ever comes up with are extensions that Windows Explorer has seen in the system but serve absolutely no purpose.

I refer to the extensions of Portable Open Office which is NEVER launched by clicking on a document because first I have to plug in the drive, and then I launch whatever application, and then choose one of the "recent documents" it has remembered within its own "ini" file.

On the other hand, before I realised what sloppy cretins throw together Microsoft applications,

I allowed one to do a default install and was disgusted afterwards that to maximise their revenue it was NOT installed in program files where it belonged, but was installed in my private profile so that other users would have to buy their own copies.

Later I set up CCleaner so my daughter could also use it, because I had no access to purge junk in her profile.

Before I disabled registry cleaning by herself I had a look at what damage could be inflicted.

I then saw the Microsoft Morons used registry keys that were not specific to my profile, therefore because CC was unable to see the application in my profile, the "universal" keys were deemed "good to go".

I think every registry cleaner should carry a health warning,

and beside the "Fix Issues" button a large red banner

"Write down this help-line number "0845...." NOW before the computer is broken".

Alan

This has never caused me problems - but I am always scared it may.

Mostly because all it ever comes up with are extensions that Windows Explorer has seen in the system but serve absolutely no purpose.

I refer to the extensions of Portable Open Office which is NEVER launched by clicking on a document because first I have to plug in the drive, and then I launch whatever application, and then choose one of the "recent documents" it has remembered within its own "ini" file.

On the other hand, before I realised what sloppy cretins throw together Microsoft applications,

I allowed one to do a default install and was disgusted afterwards that to maximise their revenue it was NOT installed in program files where it belonged, but was installed in my private profile so that other users would have to buy their own copies.

Later I set up CCleaner so my daughter could also use it, because I had no access to purge junk in her profile.

Before I disabled registry cleaning by herself I had a look at what damage could be inflicted.

I then saw the Microsoft Morons used registry keys that were not specific to my profile, therefore because CC was unable to see the application in my profile, the "universal" keys were deemed "good to go".

I think every registry cleaner should carry a health warning,

and beside the "Fix Issues" button a large red banner

"Write down this help-line number "0845...." NOW before the computer is broken".

Alan

Haha! That is funny! I am scared of using extensions check, because I believe at times, I have had CCleaner suggest ".EXE" as a great extension to get rid of. And, I certainly do not want to do that, or how will I run my programs? I just think the extension check is a little too dangerous & perhaps will stop as many computer users from having a "dead" pc after running! I am not sure if CCleaner helpfully suggests this after having removed some nasty malware from a user's computer that was responsible for killing their ability to run .EXE (but I have a fix for that as I emailed an anti-spyware company & alerted them to the damage that AVE.EXE malware (fake security software in a user's application data folder marked as a hidden file) did. They were very helpful, & even sent me a fix for EXE files. I had one already, but theirs worked even better.

I am not sure if having .EXE disabled at one time caused CCleaner to erroneously suggest it or if it was something else, but, I feel like tons of problems may be avoided. Remove .EXE anyone? How about .Mp3? or, other "unused" extensions?

The other two checks that cause the 2cd & 3rd most problems are the active X & shared DLL ones. But I do not see them as critical as the extension check. I usually scan with the top 3 unchecked as that kills 99.99% of registry problems you have with CCleaner registry check.

Then I go back with Active x checked & then missing DLL. I inspect the entries. It is pretty easy to see what is or isn't safe on those two, but I do recommend removing the extension check, because I can imagine if users take out the ability to run .EXE, their computers are hosed!